August's Toybox

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
K5083
Active Participant

Re: August's Toybox

Post by K5083 »

Continuing to work on December's unfinished group build projects.

Tutor: Another miserable airbrush session in sub-freezing temps, and I'm starting to think the cold and lack of humidity are preventing the acrylic paint from curing properly, as I'm having issues with the masking tape lifting up paint no matter how much I de-tack the tape. Luckily on the Tutor the problem was limited to the horizontal stab and the port wing control surfaces, which should be easy to retouch.

Mystery Ship: Landing gear on, working on rigging. This turns out to be a major headache because I can't find a glue that will stick EZ-line to paper. PVA glues won't bond to EZ-line and CA glues soak into the paper. This shot shows the one wire that is stuck on - for now.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
giulio_gobbi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Too cold and lack of humidity, can transform ana airbrush session in a nightmare.
Were I live, in Rome, it's not too cold, but I don't spary in winter with less than 8 C° and on summer with more of 26/26 C°.
In summer, when the humidity it's very heavy, I obtain better result than in winter.
After all this blablabla......the AVRO looks really great and the white will be forever a (autocensored) of colour!
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Looking good. Have you tried a gel type CA with an accelerator?
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
iggie

Post by iggie »

Kitaholic wrote:Looking good. Have you tried a gel type CA with an accelerator?
I'd second that; I've used this to assemble entire card buildings in the past
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I will give the gel a shot.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Some new projects on the bench this month, besides continuing and hold-over GB projects.

Ian's post about his beautiful Airfix Chipmunk inspired me to haul one out. This was actually hauled out of the discard pile, as I decided a few months ago that I had one too many of these in the stash. But why not slap one together and work on some skills. Specifically, I have sanded down and scribed this one. It won't be as good as Ian's, but it will be fun practice. I'm also repositioning flaps, rudder and elevators and will build a modest cockpit. I haven't decided yet whether this will be a British or Canadian plane. I'll decide after priming; if the scribing looks good, I'll go Canadian, using an Aeroclub bubble canopy; if not so good, I'll do the red and white UK scheme that it came in.

This week I got around to buying the NT Airfix Blenheim IV and after one look at the kit, realized that I will never build any of my old tool Airfix or Frog-spawn Blenheims. To free up space in the medium-bomber box of my stash I reduced three such kits to spare engines, props and landing gear. On a whim, I decided to keep one Blenheim fuselage and tail feathers to build as a hulk awaiting restoration. The idea is to remove access panels, build a stripped-looking interior, make unglazed canopy framing out of strip styrene, do the rudder and elevators as uncovered skeletons and so forth. This will be sort of a background project to work on while other stuff is drying.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Building a cockpit for the Chipmunk on the bottom wing. I'm trying to decide whether the kit seats provide a decent basis for detailing or need to be replaced.

August
Marek

Post by Marek »

Nice idea with the derelict Blenheim. It can be a real conversation starter, especially when put near a new one in full guise. :)
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Another current project is the USAirfix boxing of the 1930 Bentley 4.5L blower in 1/32 scale.

I'll be converting mine to a normally aspirated 4.5L by removing the supercharger unit and adding a pair of extra fog lights that usually seem to appear on these cars. I have a Pyro kit of the same subject which I may build as the blower some day. Besides being better looking, the non-blower version was a more successful car.

Working on the body first. The kit has a hole in the top of the bonnet which I don't know the purpose of. I see this on some, but not most, photos of the real thing. Since it is unsightly, I'm filling it in.

August
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Crumbs - and I thought I had a lot on!

Nice ips in the chippie though - a good start!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Recently picked up the F-Toys 1/144 Mustang Mk.III with Malcolm hood. This is actually an honest little model kit, with about 20 parts that need assembly, several of them better off with cement. It comes prepainted in fairly accurate RAF camo with decals for most of the markings. It is accurate and well-detailed. The worst fault is that the sides of the Malcolm hood are shaved flat for some reason. I built them up with PVA which restored the correct shape but the optics are still messed up.

I corrected the one paint inaccuracy (fuselage band was white rather than sky), cleaned up a few seams and did some spot touch-up painting. Hand-painted codes are for RCAF 441 Sqn. Here it is posed with my Minicraft P-51D, you can see how much more accurate the F-Toys is.

August
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Although I declared my Lynx Squadron CF-101B finished at the end of the Century Series GB, there were still a few odds and ends left to be done, which I've been working on. I've made new nosewheel doors, attached the nose probe, and added the buff/yellow edging around the canopy frames. The latter are 1/64" white strip decal with a buff-colored Sharpie run over them before application. After that and a final gloss coat, I'm calling it really finished.

August
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice, August! Good tip with the canopy framing.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The CF-101 looks great.
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a great looking Voodoo August and a top tip for the inner edging to the canopy framing, which is always a difficult proposition to paint on those jet types that feature similar finishes.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”