Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:
Sir T wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Sounds busy Stuart and plenty for us to look forward to. I remember building the old Airfix '262 back in the 70's (I recall it came in a hard plastic Series 1 blister pack, with "White 11" decals!) no doubt there are some inaccuracies, IIRC the canopy shape is not much cop, but hey ho at least there's bombs in there to make a Sturmvogel fighter-bomber if you so feel inclined!
Lol - Yes it's certainly of it's time. The nose of the bombs however will be used to sort out the engine intakes.
Sounds intriguing Stuart, I haven't built the kit since the 70's and I don't know where all of the correction work is really needed so I look forward to your efforts!

Of course, Airfix is bringing out a new one which (hopefully) would save you the trouble, but where's the fun in that? :ha:
Lol – too true. TBH Shaun I’m very unlikely to buy the new tool kit as it’s not really a subject that interests me. I don’t really do Luftwaffe aircraft – every time I try the historian in me thinks about what these aircraft were used for and I lose interest. The only reason I’m building this is because somebody said it wasn’t worth building :twisted: – I’m funny like that. :-D

The idea for the Bombs isn’t mine –there’s a review/tutorial build on UAMF of the Airfix Me262 from back in 2011 by Allan (the chap that pencils in his panel lines). He used his bombs to improve the intakes and I have a copy of his tutorial that I shall be using for reference.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by celt »

Hi Stuart,really like your Hawk,its well tidy.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

celt wrote:Hi Stuart,really like your Hawk,its well tidy.
Thanks Celt!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi Gents,

Time for an update from me - sorry if I've been quiet for a few weeks, I've had a few stress releated issues :frown: recently and just haven't felt up to much posting and/or building.

I've pretty much cleared the bench, and all the SOD and WIP and re-boxed them back into the stash - I'll get back to them all eventually. The Corsair I'm not sad to report is in about 150 peices at the bottom of the wheely bin.

Anyway, in need of something light and easy I started work on this Hobbyboss 'Easybuild' 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat. And what a great kit it is - the detail is very good considering its only 25 parts - the IP and seatbelt decals are from a Promodeller sheet a friend of mine gave me.

As you can see - I've been working on it off and on for about 3 weeks. I'm just waiting for some new Acrylic paints to turn up and I'll get on with painting the upper camo. (I thought I had Extra Dark Sea and Slate Grey but alas only in Enamel).

I've also started something I've wanted to do for a while, and that's build a modern tooled 1/48 Jet kit! :-D Details to follow!

Cheers all and thanks for looking!

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see you back Stuart and I hope your stress level has reduced to a background hum! My own building has slowed to a crawl as I've become tangled up in the awkward masking of the RAF red/white/grey trainer scheme on my Hawk and Jet Provost builds. I get like that sometimes and have to walk away from it for a while :roll: The Hellcat is one of those famous types that I've never got around to building and this looks to be a nice, easy build as advertised by the maker and you are making great progress with it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:Good to see you back Stuart and I hope your stress level has reduced to a background hum! My own building has slowed to a crawl as I've become tangled up in the awkward masking of the RAF red/white/grey trainer scheme on my Hawk and Jet Provost builds. I get like that sometimes and have to walk away from it for a while :roll: The Hellcat is one of those famous types that I've never got around to building and this looks to be a nice, easy build as advertised by the maker and you are making great progress with it.
I'd certainly recommend the kit Shaun - it builds up really nicely OOB. The only thing I might do is drill out the Gun barrels and replace them.

Alas the stress comes and goes - it's just not very easy living with an Autistic child and a highly strung spouse in the same house. It's been quite a hard few weeks. TBH if it wasn't for the escape of this hobby I would have lost it a while ago - It really is the best hobby in the world. I can see why it helps guys with PTSD.

Anyway - Getting too deep! :-D

iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking good Stuart!

Stress can be an awful thing to deal with and I'm pleased you have modelling to fall back on for some relief. I model for pretty much the same reason (as well as enjoyment of course) and I'm so lucky that my wife understands the benefit of my having the time to play with plastic. We must be pretty close to each other geographically; if I can be any help just shout
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks iggie - I'll keep you in mind. I'm ok, I just need to learn how to cope with life's ups and downs better than I do now. When you start loosing your temper with an disabled child it's not a good place to be in (I'm just thankfull I didn't hit him or anything). It may sound insane but as I work in QA for my day job, I've started to do an RCA on myself using six-sigma. So far monitoring what happens during the day is really helping learn what the triggers are and how to cope with them.

Thankfully my wife is also supportive of the Hobby, she still thinks it's daft, but I think she's beginning to understand it's importance to me.

Anyway - Thanks for the kind comments chaps.

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sounds like a rough few weeks but hopefully things will stay a bit more manageable now. Good luck with everything, Stuart.

The Hellcat looks really good. I've always sort of looked down at those Hobbyboss 'easy build' things but you've got me tempted. I haven't tossed a model across the room for a few years now but have come close again recently. One of those Hobbyboss ones might be just the thing sometimes for me too.

I must also work on acquiring the patience (and skill) you have at brush painting. I still airbrush but don't enjoy it as much as I used to enjoy brush painting in my youth.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

dwomby wrote:Sounds like a rough few weeks but hopefully things will stay a bit more manageable now. Good luck with everything, Stuart.

The Hellcat looks really good. I've always sort of looked down at those Hobbyboss 'easy build' things but you've got me tempted. I haven't tossed a model across the room for a few years now but have come close again recently. One of those Hobbyboss ones might be just the thing sometimes for me too.

I must also work on acquiring the patience (and skill) you have at brush painting. I still airbrush but don't enjoy it as much as I used to enjoy brush painting in my youth.

David
Thanks David!

I can thank Toby for my love of these easybuild kits - he put me onto them. They are really good fun stress free builds. Maybe not 100% accurate but then that's not the point of them. I shall certainly build more. (The mig-15 is very nice).

And HB build some pretty damn nice kits anyway - I have two newish tooled 1/48 kits in the stash and they're both really great looking kits.

I'd give the brush painting a whirl again if you fancy it. It's never a bad idea to learn new skills anyway. Just get a kit and give it a go. I regularly paint with Humbrol Acrylic and Enamel (as do a lot of others here) and am always happy to offer advice. I use a bit of a strange technique that I really should make a video of.

If you need new brushes the Humbrol ones are pretty good.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Well this is the other kit I started this week - The Hobbyboss 1/48 SAAB J-29B Tunnan.

I have my friend Jon Bius https://www.jonbius.com/ to thank for this. For ages I've wanted to have a proper go at a 1/48th scale modern tooled jet kit, and as Jon has been singing the praises of HB kits and how much fun they are, I decided to bite the bullet and get a couple (I also have the 1/48 IAR-80) - thanks Jon :-D

I've always liked the Tunnan ever since I saw one years ago at the Midland Air Museum. It was the first European post-war Swept-wing fighter and first flew on the 1st September 1948 (with a brit at the controls). Although considered an ugly duckling (by some) it turned out to be a very fast aircraft that held two World Speed Records. It was a good match for the Sabre and Mig-15, and could actually out-turn the F-86.

This kit is a few years old now - but is a lovely bit of moulding (apparently it's more 1/50 scale but hey - who cares!) with plenty of nice detail in the cockpit.

I’ve painted this up with Humbrol Enamels thinned with ‘Mr Levelling’ lacquer Thinners (My god they smell!). I’m trying out this combo to see how they paint – hopefully there will be no brush marks.

I’ve used US light green for the cockpit instead of black as per the kit instructions as that’s what my photo refs (google) show. The seat is painted with Humbrol Metalcoat paints which I’ve never used before either – who says you can’t experiment!

I'll get the second coat on tomorow and we'll see how it goes - I have to say it brushed on beautifully. No marks at all, even using a crappy brush. I used a 3:1 ratio of thinners to paint though.

Anyway - Thanks for looking (and please check out Jon's Blog - he's a great guy).

Cheers

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A "Flying Barrel", marvellous! This looks to be a great kit Stuart. Prior to joining the forum, I had almost exclusively switched to 1/48th for single-engine fighters and I have a number of nice quarter scale kits in the stash. Once I've built my stuff for this year's CBK display at Telford I intend to build some of the more modern kits in my stash as a change to fighting the classic stuff!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:A "Flying Barrel", marvellous! This looks to be a great kit Stuart. Prior to joining the forum, I had almost exclusively switched to 1/48th for single-engine fighters and I have a number of nice quarter scale kits in the stash. Once I've built my stuff for this year's CBK display at Telford I intend to build some of the more modern kits in my stash as a change to fighting the classic stuff!
This kit certainly looks to be a nice one Shaun - I think any issues with it will be of my own making. I have to say it makes a nice change working in a bigger scale - my experience of 1/48 it limited but I do enjoy the added detail.

Did have a bit of an issue at lunch - the Lacquer thinners experiment was a fail. The 2nd coat lifted the first! In the end I washed the whole lot off in good old dependable Humbrol Thinners and repainted it with straight Enamel - I thankfully saved all the detail!

That's another bottle of something to be banished to the back of the Shed.

I have to say though, as much I think enamel is better for brush painting I'm enjoying Acrylics more and more these days, when I'm working in the back of my car the smell is getting to me much more than it used too.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

First coats of EDSG going on!

It looks a mess now, but should even up with a few more coats. I've decided to get rid of those gun barrels - I'm sure I have a resin set for a P-40 kicking about that should fit the bill.

Cheers

Stuart

celt

Post by celt »

Hi Sir T,sorry to hear about your troubles over the last few weeks.I too have had my fair share and your right about this hobby,it helped me to cope. I like your choice of models and done very well too.Hope you are feeling better soon.

Return to “Workbench Window”