Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by ShaunW »

You have encountered the same sort of issues that I have with every Airfix new tool kit that I've built, Stuart. There just ain't any wriggle room and even a lick of paint in the wrong place can prevent a part from fitting properly. I've also found that clipping off the attachment pins can improve the fit and in fact I did that with the fuselage halves of my recent Spitfire F.22 build as there would have been gaps a plenty otherwise - the pins actually hindered rather than helped :roll: The assembly woes can be very frustrating as these kits do look good once assembled and painted.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:You have encountered the same sort of issues that I have with every Airfix new tool kit that I've built, Stuart. There just ain't any wriggle room and even a lick of paint in the wrong place can prevent a part from fitting properly. I've also found that clipping off the attachment pins can improve the fit and in fact I did that with the fuselage halves of my recent Spitfire F.22 build as there would have been gaps a plenty otherwise - the pins actually hindered rather than helped :roll: The assembly woes can be very frustrating as these kits do look good once assembled and painted.

Same here Shaun - ALL of the NT kit's I've built have been a fiddle in places. But as you said, generaly they are worth the hassle becuase they look good when finished.

I've managed to sort out the wing roots by running a beed of tamiya Extra-thin doen the gap - so thankfully no filler is needed. I've also added the clear parts and painted up the inner bits of the pods ready for assembly. This build is going to be a real mix of paints, the cockpit and inners were Humbrol Enamel. The engine pod inners wee Revell Aqua steel and the exterior will be Humbrol Acrylics (actually, I need to order these).

Cheers!

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Workbench Window”