Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by skypirate »

Sir T wrote:Like you Shaun I'm looking forward to the F-4
You're not alone! (In spite of my Fujimi stash!)

Thanks for showing us the new 262!

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of progress over the past few weeks - I've not been modelling much due to a few issues. Asides from having problems with my new boss, I also had to have my cat put to sleep... not been a great time.

On the plus side I'm on my way up to North Yorkshire today to pick up my new Puppy!

Work will resume shortly!

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Not a good time, Stuart and hopefully now the only way is up. What breed of dog are you buying?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

I hope you have a good trip to collect the new addition to the family, looking forward to seeing piccies!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents, Not a good time as you say Shaun, both my Wife and Daughter took it very badly... but she was 18/19, and very poorly, to have prolonged it would have been Cruel.

So as you say - The only way is up, which is why we've got ourselves an 8-Week old puppy today (the Kitten arrives tomorrow!) - I'll take some pictures tomorrow as it's dark and it's fallen asleep under the dining table :roll: As it is I'm knackard after 8 hours driving today.

As for breed - It's an Irish Wolfhound :shock:

Cheers!

iggie

Post by iggie »

Oooh! A Wolfhound :partytime:

Excellent!

You do realise that when it gets a couple of weeks older it wine be able to fit under the table? :shock: :grin: :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Lol - Yeah, they are rather large. I know when I suggested a dog (for my son) I had in mind a lab or something similar. However my wife, who's studying history, wanted something more "medieval" :shock:

It's a bit of a shock to the system having a puppy in the house. He's whining a lot (which I think he's supposed to do for the first few days) and pooing EVERYWHERE!!!!

Any tips on house-training gladly accepted.

Thankfully he also sleeps a lot.

Cheers!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds like you've got your hands full with the new arrival at the moment, Stuart! I don't think I've ever heard a Wolfhound described as "medieval" before :ha: They're big dogs that's for sure....

IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Oh well, looks like my foray into dog ownership might well be over before it's started...

The Puppy's been lovely, but alas has taken against my Son. Granted it's probably out of fear (perhaps I didn't quite guess how scary an Autistic 6 year old boy is to an 8-week old Puppy) but it doesn't change the fact that he's capable of knocking my son off his feet and biting him - which he proved last night. It might be ok in the future but I can't take that risk. It's a real shame as it happened just as Nathan first really started taking an interest in the pup, he only tried to stroke him and give him his chew toy.

It's really bloody annoying. We've spent a year researching Wolfhounds and have been given nothing but praise on how calm and non-aggressive they are - obviously that doesn't apply to the pups!

It doesn't help that he's too young. I was speaking to a breeder in Scotland yesterday and was informed that the woman I bought him from is a well-known puppy farmer. Apparently there is no way we should have EVER been sold an 8-week old pup as they're not ready to leave there mum until 10 weeks. Poor little sod - I feel really sorry for it. It's funny though, I'd had a nagging feeling all week that something is amiss - now I know what it was! According to the breeder I spoke to it'll also be pointless trying to house train him as he's too young. Great. AND even though I grew up with dogs, that counts for nothing as Wolfhounds are unlike any other breed - Wonderful, in a year of talking to people NOT one person said that.

Part of the problem I guess is that Nathan's lack of communication and interaction skills means that he's not able to assert his authority over the dog, who now seems to think that he's above him in the pecking order - A big enough problem in an 9KG puppy, it could be fatal as he gets larger.

So it looks like we're going to have to give him back. There's no point trying to string it out - If nothing else it won't be fair on the dog. The sooner we get him back to his home (while he still remembers it) the better I think it'll be for him.

I'm really very angry about it though -and very sad - He's a lovely dog. But I guess you have to accept when you've made a mistake and try and short it out as quickly as you can.

I still think a dog might be a good idea, but as I've learnt - It needs to be a dog and not a pup. Possibly something like a Greyhound. We'll see. After last night I think it'll be a while before I'll trust any dog again (I think I'll stick to Cats).

Oh well - He's just poo'd all over the floor - time to go and clean it up...

Cheers (and apologies for the waffle post - Just needed to get it off my chest).

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

The new Kitten on the other hand, is doing really well.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Yikes!
I don't fancy being in your shoes.
I too grew up with dogs, but have been a cat person for nearly 30 years.
When my son was young he also used to get knocked over by dogs bigger than him. Not sure why that was so, but that left him with some distrust of dogs.
I still get along with dogs, but am less patient with them, because cats are so easy!

All the best,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Sorry to hear of the problems with the new hound; there are too many less than professional breeders out there ready to prey on new owners. I would suggest that you involve the RSPCA in the return of the pooch when/if you return it to the breeder.

Going forwards, I would agree that an older dog would be a better bet. I would further suggest one that is not bigger than your son at present; there is less danger of your boy feeling threatened by the dog, and the dog will have a physical reinforcement of it's place in the pack. I would also suggest steering clear of greyhounds; there are going to be loads of people who will now be shouting at their screens about how soft and kind and gentle they are, and they are not wrong. However, they are (almost all) extremely highly strung, and live on their nerves most of the time; from my own experiences of children with autism, this is not going to be a good trait in any prospective dog!

Whippets (including most whippet crosses) on the other hand have all the good points of greyhounds, but are far more laid back. They are also fantastic with smaller children from the off, and will become the most loyal friend that your son could ever have. They tend to crop up at rescue centres a lot as they can look a bit scruffy depending on the other breed(s) involved, but I've not known one ever to be snappy or violent. In most cases they tend to be small enough to be the right size for your son's current age (except our Jet who with her Saluki heritage is taller than average!) but still have the presence of a 'large' dog. Training them is simple; they are highly intelligent and respond well to treats!

If you would like to meet our two dogs, and perhaps more importantly to see how your son might get on with an older but smaller dog, let me know and we'll be happy to meet up with you for an afternoon

Bestwishes

Jim
Best wishes

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's a great shame about the dog, Stuart but your son's well-being has to come first. Personally I have no experience of caring for dogs as an adult so I'm not of any practical help. Hopefully you will find the best solution.

IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

skypirate wrote:Yikes!
I don't fancy being in your shoes.
I too grew up with dogs, but have been a cat person for nearly 30 years.
When my son was young he also used to get knocked over by dogs bigger than him. Not sure why that was so, but that left him with some distrust of dogs.
I still get along with dogs, but am less patient with them, because cats are so easy!

All the best,

David
Thanks David - and that is pretty much how I'm feeling at the moment. I grew up with Cats and Dogs and have had Cats all my life - they are indeed easier. I would like another dog but I'm going to take a lot more time to think about it and maybe let my son get a little older first.

I don't blame the dog, he was only acting out of fear - but that doesn't really help much. I just hope it hasn't scared my Son off dogs for life (Autism is a funny thing).

It does show the differences between the species though. We have an 8 week old kitten in the house - he's literally the size of a bal of full, and he follow's my son around like a shadow. He even fell asleep next to him when he was shouting and hooting in excitment yesterday.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:It's a great shame about the dog, Stuart but your son's well-being has to come first. Personally I have no experience of caring for dogs as an adult so I'm not of any practical help. Hopefully you will find the best solution.
Thanks Shaun - The solution was an 7 1/2 round trip back to the breeders in North Yorkshire today and a full £1500 refund (Thankfully).

Return to “Workbench Window”