Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by Stuart »

celt wrote:Hi Sir T,sorry to hear about your troubles over the last few weeks.I too have had my fair share and your right about this hobby,it helped me to cope. I like your choice of models and done very well too.Hope you are feeling better soon.
Thanks Celt - you're a Gent :-D . I'll be ok, I hope all is well with you too.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by celt »

Sir T wrote:
celt wrote:Hi Sir T,sorry to hear about your troubles over the last few weeks.I too have had my fair share and your right about this hobby,it helped me to cope. I like your choice of models and done very well too.Hope you are feeling better soon.
Hi Sir T,things are are better my end,my wifes pain has eased with the medication and we are learning to live with the prognosis.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

celt wrote:
Sir T wrote:
Hi Sir T,things are are better my end,my wifes pain has eased with the medication and we are learning to live with the prognosis.
Glad to hear it!

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Hellcat is coming along nicely Stuart. TBH I nearly always get shut of moulded on gun barrels partly to be able to achieve a decent finish to the wing leading edge by sanding and partly because I never usually find they look all that good and are better replaced with some fine tubing.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:The Hellcat is coming along nicely Stuart. TBH I nearly always get shut of moulded on gun barrels partly to be able to achieve a decent finish to the wing leading edge by sanding and partly because I never usually find they look all that good and are better replaced with some fine tubing.
I agree Shaun - It's one of those things that's always worth improving.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:Prior to joining the forum, I had almost exclusively switched to 1/48th for single-engine fighters and I have a number of nice quarter scale kits in the stash. Once I've built my stuff for this year's CBK display at Telford I intend to build some of the more modern kits in my stash as a change to fighting the classic stuff!
If you fancy doing a 1/48 single kit SB after Telford or whenever to get your quarter scale mojo back I'd be up for that.

iggie

Post by iggie »

I've never built a 1/48 kit......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sir T wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Prior to joining the forum, I had almost exclusively switched to 1/48th for single-engine fighters and I have a number of nice quarter scale kits in the stash. Once I've built my stuff for this year's CBK display at Telford I intend to build some of the more modern kits in my stash as a change to fighting the classic stuff!
If you fancy doing a 1/48 single kit SB after Telford or whenever to get your quarter scale mojo back I'd be up for that.
You know, I haven't participated in a GB for 3 or 4 years and I was looking at your RAF suggestion earlier today. From memory suitable kits I have in 1/48th scale include an Academy Hunter, Tamiya Meteor Mk I and an Airfix Spitfire Vb (new tool, not the 70's kit). There might be something else as well, I'd have to take a look.

IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:
Sir T wrote:
You know, I haven't participated in a GB for 3 or 4 years and I was looking at your RAF suggestion earlier today. From memory suitable kits I have in 1/48th scale include an Academy Hunter, Tamiya Meteor Mk I and an Airfix Spitfire Vb (new tool, not the 70's kit). There might be something else as well, I'd have to take a look.
That'd be great if you could join us on the GB Shaun!

If you fancy doing an SB sometime - let me know what kit you fancy and I'll see if I can get one to match. I'm determined not to acquire a quarter scale stash beyond say 3-4. It'll be buy and build (yeah right :-D)

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:I've never built a 1/48 kit......
That surprises me iggie - I thought you built in all scales.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Sir T wrote:First coats of EDSG going on!

It looks a mess now, but should even up with a few more coats. I've decided to get rid of those gun barrels - I'm sure I have a resin set for a P-40 kicking about that should fit the bill.

Cheers

Stuart
DAMN AND BLAST!!!

Well I've learned three things this weekend.

1. Humbrol Acrylic satin paints are crap!
2. You need to stir AND shake your paints.
3. Humbrol Acrylic satin paints are crap!

So I spent the weekend trying to paint the Hellcat and have ruined it completely. That Dark grey you see above - I was into the third coat of that when I noticed lighter grey streaks appearing. Strange I thought, the paint should be mixed as I've stirred it at least 3 times for about a minute. So I decided to shake it as well, and was surprised after 45 seconds to see a completely different colour come out of the pot... :shock:

And this happened with both the DSG and the ESDG :shock:

It was a bloody nightmare, I couldn't for anything keep a consistent shade of grey - I was practically stirring it with every dip of the brush! Sufficed to say there's so much paint on the upper surfaces now I've lost all of the panel line detail!

Humbrol's Acrylic Matt paint is superb, but I'm really not going to bother with the Satins again - It's not the first time I've had mixing issues with them - I couldn't get the Gull Grey consistent on my Fury last year - I kept getting dark grey streaks in it. (Actually I binned a Harrier a few years ago for the same problem - that's why I now use 30 for RAF green).

I think in future I'll either go Enamel or find a matt paint that's 'close enough'.

(No pictures - it's too awful!)

Cheers

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Not good Stuart and you have my sympathies. I have had mixed results airbrushing Humbrol's enamel satin paints over the years and I'm not that keen on them TBH. Yesterday and today I have been applying the light grey coats to my Hawk and Provost builds and the closest paint I had in stock was Hu-40 light grey, which is gloss. This paint was also a bit of a pain and took two coats to achieve a decent coverage, the first coat looked very much like your Hellcat. Generally I avoid using gloss and these days wherever possible I apply matt paints, whether enamel or acrylic, as I find they cover much better and then use varnish to achieve the desired degree of gloss for decals and matt/satin for the final finish.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

I use my scroll saw to shake humbrol paints; it's the nearest thing I've got to one of the big industrial mixers you find at paint merchants. Any other make and my IKEA coffee frother does the trick
You have my sympathies!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I 100% agree Shaun. I'd much rather paint in matt and then apply my own clears over the top - even if it's not a wholly 'accurate' colour.

TBH - that's two builds this year where I've been really happy with the construction and have then knackered it with the paint. As much as I enjoy wielding the Hairy stick I'm really looking forward to getting my airbrush!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:I use my scroll saw to shake humbrol paints; it's the nearest thing I've got to one of the big industrial mixers you find at paint merchants. Any other make and my IKEA coffee frother does the trick
You have my sympathies!
That's a great idea iggie!

Return to “Workbench Window”