Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by Stuart »

Hi there and welcome :-D :-D :-D

I’ve been toying with the idea of starting a new bench thread for a while as my previous one (currently residing at the bottom of Page 3) was getting very messy - lots of started projects, random thoughts and divergent tangents :grin: (much like the inside of my head actually :shock: ), but not THAT many finishes... or even ANY finishes. So I’ve decided to put the record of last year’s modelling catastrophes behind me and start this new bright and shiny thread - look at it gleam… 8-)

No photos to add as yet, but I shall list all my current work in progress and update them accordingly – my one aim this year, asides from building a few 1/48th kits, is to actually finish something.

So, current WIP:
1. Airfix 1/72 Tornado F.3 ‘Starter set’
2. Airfix 1/48 bf 109E-4
3. Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F.6
4. Tamiya 1/48 NA P-51D Mustang ‘Whif’

And having given away most of my Stash earlier this year :shock: - I thought I might list what I have in the mini-stash as a means of keeping an eye on it.

Tamiya 1/48 P-51B ‘RAF Mustang’
Tamiya 1/48 F-51D Mustang ‘Korean War’
Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt ‘Razorback’
Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Va ‘Douglas Barder’ Boxing
ARK Models 1/48 Yak-7B
Hasa-whatsit 1/48 ‘Follow me’ Willys Jeep

Airfix 1/24 H.S. Harrier GR.3/AV-8A

Airfix 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon
Airfix 1/72 Douglas A-4B Skyhawk
Airfix 1/72 VC Icons set.

So ten kits, most of which I’d like to get done this year :ha: :ha: :ha:

Sorry for the boring post, I’ll add some pictures later.

:nopix

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by BlohmWolf »

Ten kits? I thought I had a tiny stash!

Oh well, if you enjoy your kits, enjoy building them and something else positive I can't remember as I'm too tired to be bothered.

Enjoy your new bench thread.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Hi Stuart, i am looking forward to your new thread, as i really enjoyed your last one,
good luck with your builds.

Rich.
Rich.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

BlohmWolf wrote:Ten kits? I thought I had a tiny stash!

Oh well, if you enjoy your kits, enjoy building them and something else positive I can't remember as I'm too tired to be bothered.

Tired!? But you're supposed to be young and energetic....!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

nashorn wrote:Hi Stuart, i am looking forward to your new thread, as i really enjoyed your last one,
good luck with your builds.

Rich.
I HAVE A FAN!

Thanks Rich!

BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

Sir T wrote:
BlohmWolf wrote:Ten kits? I thought I had a tiny stash.

Normally. But when you have to figure out how you could make a good Dream house, then work out the individual cost of each room and the total size you feel a bit sleepy-(SLAM) frgtdgtddddddddddhdgtfssssssdrtnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

BlohmWolf wrote:
Sir T wrote:
BlohmWolf wrote:Ten kits? I thought I had a tiny stash.

Normally. But when you have to figure out how you could make a good Dream house, then work out the individual cost of each room and the total size you feel a bit sleepy-(SLAM) frgtdgtddddddddddhdgtfssssssdrtnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Ok I'll give you that, sounds about as exciting as the Non-conformance process I should be writing as I type this - ir's safe to assume that I'm not 'engaged' with my work...

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Ok, so first up on the new back seat is this...

The new tool Airfix 1/48 bf109. This is a really nice kit with lots of options. I'm building Adolf Galland E-4, which will have the centre line drop tank. It also has the option of displaying the engine, but most of the plumbing and guns are missing, so I'm going to button up the cowling, which will help the poor fit of the part.

It went together pretty quickly over the weekend and I started on some basic painting today, using Humbrols new RLM Enamel paints - this be brush painted so the mottles will be fun. No filler needed as the fit is REALLY good. I just needed to do some re-scribing and light sanding - makes a change :-D

As you can see I've gone for the flaps down and leading edge flaps open. I also need to do some more work on the ip and paint the pilot - not the best cockpit job in the world, but I did add some lead wire etc. to busy up the side walls - not that you can see :???:

More...

I'm enjoying my first luftwaffe build :)

And sharing the tray with my Tamiya P-51D. More on this later, although I have re-done the underside seams and re-sprayed the bottom of the fuselage - funny I always thought the 109 was a lot smaller than a P-51 - guess not.

Hopefully the photos from my new camera are a lot better - still not sure of the max dimensions though - is it 600x600 or 800x800? Answers on a postcard please...

Thanks for looking

Regards

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's good to see a new BB thread Stuart and I'm quite keen about that 1/48th '109E. I almost bought the kit at the start of last year to go alongside the 1/72nd new tool Emil that I was building as part of a single kit group build. It looks great so far. The Tamiya Mustang is IMHO one of their best 1/48th aircraft kits, I built it a number of years ago and really enjoyed the experience. I'm not 100% re the size difference between a 109 and a P-51, but I was always under the impression that the German aircraft was quite a lot smaller than allied fighters - it could be the fuselage is narrower and less deep but the wingspan is not much shorter. Or something like that!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
BlohmWolf

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders number eleventy sev

Post by BlohmWolf »

Looking good. The 1/72 version is literally a tiny version of the 1/48 kit, with a teeny bit more detail and better fitting. And with HUGE sprue points. Still very enjoyable, and nice job with the handbrushing.

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice start. I think pics are 800 x 800 max.

Nigel
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

Looks a good one! And I also expected the Mustang to be bigger...

Cheers,
Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:It's good to see a new BB thread Stuart and I'm quite keen about that 1/48th '109E. I almost bought the kit at the start of last year to go alongside the 1/72nd new tool Emil that I was building as part of a single kit group build. It looks great so far. The Tamiya Mustang is IMHO one of their best 1/48th aircraft kits, I built it a number of years ago and really enjoyed the experience. I'm not 100% re the size difference between a 109 and a P-51, but I was always under the impression that the German aircraft was quite a lot smaller than allied fighters - it could be the fuselage is narrower and less deep but the wingspan is not much shorter. Or something like that!
Thanks Shaun, I aim to please.

The 109 kit is brilliant - the fit is really nice as is the detail - I'd give it a go. The Tamiya Mustang is a lovely kit I agree, that's why I have three in the stash! Apprantly their Thunderbolt is even nicer - I'm looking forward to that. I have a stack of P-51 decals and books now, so I think I’ll be doing more of these.

The size thing is interesting, the Mustang is bigger, but not THAT much bigger – I always thought it was a hulking great thing. Perhaps that’s just how it looks on the ground. That’s one of the things I love about this hobby and building up a collection of models, being able to see these things in the flesh (even scale flesh) so to speak, rather than just in pictures – it’s cool.

Stuart

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders number eleventy sev

Post by Stuart »

BlohmWolf wrote:Looking good. The 1/72 version is literally a tiny version of the 1/48 kit, with a teeny bit more detail and better fitting. And with HUGE sprue points. Still very enjoyable, and nice job with the handbrushing.
thanks BW, they are both really nice kits but I think the 1/48 has the edge on detail.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice start. I think pics are 800 x 800 max.

Nigel
thanks Nigel!

Return to “Workbench Window”