Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Stuart’s ‘All New’ Backseat Blunders II

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote:Sorry to hear of the problems with the new hound; there are too many less than professional breeders out there ready to prey on new owners. I would suggest that you involve the RSPCA in the return of the pooch when/if you return it to the breeder.

Going forwards, I would agree that an older dog would be a better bet. I would further suggest one that is not bigger than your son at present; there is less danger of your boy feeling threatened by the dog, and the dog will have a physical reinforcement of it's place in the pack. I would also suggest steering clear of greyhounds; there are going to be loads of people who will now be shouting at their screens about how soft and kind and gentle they are, and they are not wrong. However, they are (almost all) extremely highly strung, and live on their nerves most of the time; from my own experiences of children with autism, this is not going to be a good trait in any prospective dog!

Whippets (including most whippet crosses) on the other hand have all the good points of greyhounds, but are far more laid back. They are also fantastic with smaller children from the off, and will become the most loyal friend that your son could ever have. They tend to crop up at rescue centres a lot as they can look a bit scruffy depending on the other breed(s) involved, but I've not known one ever to be snappy or violent. In most cases they tend to be small enough to be the right size for your son's current age (except our Jet who with her Saluki heritage is taller than average!) but still have the presence of a 'large' dog. Training them is simple; they are highly intelligent and respond well to treats!

If you would like to meet our two dogs, and perhaps more importantly to see how your son might get on with an older but smaller dog, let me know and we'll be happy to meet up with you for an afternoon

Bestwishes

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the fantastic offer! I think we're going to let the dust settle a bit and maybe let him age a bit first. But yes that would be great idea - I definitely think I'll see how he reacts before I bring another into the house. Also thanks for the tip about Whippets, we'll definalty look into that. I was under the impression Greyhounds were pretty calm dogs but I'll bow down to your superior knowledge. I don't mind scruffy dogs.

He does seem to be quite taken with our Kitten at the moment so hopefully he'll react better with that.

Thanks for the tip on the RSPCA - I perhaps should have thought of that, but alas I've already taken him back. I thought it was the best thing for the dog - we've only had him 5 days - so best take him back to the place he remembers where his siblings are etc.

The thing is - How the hell do you define a puppy farm? The breeder I spoke too up in Scotland for about an hour last night told me how awful this woman in Yorkshire was etc. etc. But she's got a rosette from the Kennel club and has been inspected etc etc. I've BEEN there - the farm they lived on in the moors was emaculate, the dogs all looked happy and healthy and the coulpe where realy nice. The only thing I can think is she has some funny idea/practices (no matter how well intentioned) that the other breaders don't agree with, along with a fair bit of back stabbing - who knows! It has given me an insight into the world of pedegree dogs that I NEVER want to see again.

All I can say is that the pup, who'd been asleep for most of the journey, went balistic when I got there this afternoon - he was over-joyed to back on the farm and so happy to see the breeder I was largely forgotten on the spot - I had no worries about leaving him there. She did say she might well keep him rather than selling him on - So all's well that ends well maybe.

On reflection I think we did the best thing. It was realy nice to have a dog again, but OMG it was hard work and completely turned our lives upside down - it's certainly given me pause (paws) for thought.

It's actualy a bit of relief after a week of chaos to sit in a quite calm house with a cat asleep next to my keyboard - he's out of luck though as I don't have a mouse but a trackball.

Anyway you know what - I think I MIGHT actually be able to bash some plastic!

Cheers all, and thanks for all your kind thoughts (I'm still surprised anyone reads this crap)

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by skypirate »

Stuart,

Well, that was an experience!
I have friends with Whippets (male and female pair), and they are smart and affectionate. But these guys don't have kids.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

skypirate wrote:Stuart,

Well, that was an experience!
I have friends with Whippets (male and female pair), and they are smart and affectionate. But these guys don't have kids.

David
Well I'll certainly look into them - it seems like a good choice.

More strangeness for today - So at 9:30 this evening, whilst removing Grendel the 9 week old kitten from our curtains (for the 7th time), we get a phone call out of the blue from the Cat Rescue place in Aylesbury where we got him from. They've just this evening aquired an 11 week old kitten, who happens to be a rare Calico cat. They didn't want to advertise him as he's worth about £500 and they wanted someone who wouldn't sell him on as soon as they got him - and they thought of us first - Did we want him?

All I can say is that's one hell of a compliment! (and the answer was yes!)

I sometimes wonder if there's something in that saying... "you don't get what you want, you get what you need - when you need it''.

Cheers!

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Things are looking up!

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Everything seems to be moving in the right direction again for you and your family Stuart. Hope it continues to do so.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent news; I'm sure it will settle in nicely!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks all - It's certainly been a interesting week. I even had an interview for a job in MK today :shock: I have to say I'm mentally knackard.

I spent ages this morning trying to take a picture of our current kitten (Don't you just love working from home!) - blooming 'eck it's not easy!

This evening I finally got my workbench/tray down from the top of the wardrobe where it's been collecting dust since before the 20th September.

This is what's on it - The NT Airfix 262, a FROG Tempest, a Matchbox Spitfire and my old tool 262 paint hack. The Tempest and Spitfire are being built to test out Tamiya and Hataka paints - the old tool 262 is trying to restore my faith in humbrol Acrylics - I REALLY need to get some flow enhancer.

I think first I'll carry on working on the seems of the 262, and add the ip decal.

It's nice to be back at it.

Cheers

ST

celt

Post by celt »

Hi Sir T,sorry to hear about your troubles,I wish you and your family all the best.Love the kitten,I have four,one of them looks exactly like yours.I find Humbrol acrylics much better, now that I have put three ball bearings and a drop of flow enhancer in the pot.They brush great now.
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Just had to share this with you. This is our kitten, and her name is Lucyfur. She's about 6 months old and we've had her since she was 4 weeks old. Quite a bit of bottle feeding and such, so she has quite the attachment to the Mrs..

Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Black cats are the best.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good to see you back at the bench, Stuart. What a lovely kitten! I'm a sucker for that sort of photo - must be getting soft in my old age :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

What an adorable looking cat. Great name too.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks all! It's certainly nicer now that things have calmed down.
celt wrote:Hi Sir T,sorry to hear about your troubles,I wish you and your family all the best.Love the kitten,I have four,one of them looks exactly like yours.I find Humbrol acrylics much better, now that I have put three ball bearings and a drop of flow enhancer in the pot.They brush great now.
Thanks Celt.

What Flow enhancer do you use?

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

coptermech wrote:Just had to share this with you. This is our kitten, and her name is Lucyfur. She's about 6 months old and we've had her since she was 4 weeks old. Quite a bit of bottle feeding and such, so she has quite the attachment to the Mrs..

Now that is a lovely looking cat.

4 weeks is young (I assume she's a rescue), I don't think I've ever had to bottle feed a kitten - It'd be quite rewarding I imagine.

gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

She's a little stunner :)
George B.

Return to “Workbench Window”