tank

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
alecras234
Active Participant

tank

Post by alecras234 »

Hi i've built an airfix King Tiger tank and i've spent the whole day painting it a pale brown colour. The paint wouldn't stick after the first coat but after three or four coats the paint stuck and looks ok but there are areas where the paint won't stick, im still piling coats of paint on. What is wrong?

I brush painted acrylic, no primer, i did wash the sprues before assembly.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: tank

Post by iggie »

It sounds very much like there is still a residue of mould oil on the plastic; when you washed the sprues did you use any detergent such as washing up liquid, and use warm warm water?

It's also an idea to use a soft paintbrush (decorating size, not a modelling brush) to gently brush all the parts as you wash the sprues; the bristles will help to remove any oils and grease
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

yes i used warm water with washing up liquid and scrubbed with toothbrush. Should i paint a coat of varnish, then put a coat of brown again and see whether having the paint covers?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Is the paint from a starter set, i.e. one of the little pots with a flip-top lid? If so, that will be your problem as some colours were rubbish no matter how well stirred, and others need stirring with a whisk or similar to get them fully mixed.

A coat of varnish may well work if that is all you have to use as a primer, as it will seal the plastic away from the next layer of paint
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

How can i refine the camo? i tried to copy the drawing on the box of the camo shapes but it needs changing? How do i add the image? i clicked Add image to post but nothing happened.

Return to “Workbench Window”