Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Gents.

I finished the camo pattern for the Tiger 1, now it's time to move on to picking out details.

For whatever reason, I decided to open another kit and begin another project. This time DML's 1/72 Sherman.

I picked this one up a while ago, and I've slowly added pieces to the box to make a small vignette (some figures, some stowage, some terrain, etc). We'll see how it ends up, but here's where we're starting the lower hull and road wheels.

It went together very smoothly, and DML has done a good job with the road wheels and suspension. Just four simple parts (with one part all but completely hidden from view) with minimal flash and a good fit. I was able to complete the lower hull in near record time, although the sprockets aren't actually attached yet, just dry fitted in place.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Not too much movement on the Dragon Sherman. I managed to get a few 1/72 US Tank Crew, which were harder to find than expected. I ended up getting some in white metal, and when I first took a look at them, I wasn't too impressed. However, once I put some primer on them, the details really popped out.

Still, not much movement has been made on the actual model...or figures.

I did manage to get the Tamiya D.520 completed. It was really a lot of fun to put together. I ended up going with a late war French scheme. This would have been a plane that switched 'hands' a few times, so I wanted to add a little more wear than usual to it.

Since I finished one model, why not start a new one? It's not like my bench is cluttered with a bunch of half-started kits already. I picked up another 1/56 kit. This time a Sherman. It didn't have decals, or instructions, but I was still able to get it 95% assembled in less than an hour.

Here's the 95% built Sherman head-to-head with a 95% painted Tiger 1. The two in-scale models next to each other really doesn't look like a fair match.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Very nice work on the D.520; as you intended it certainly looks like it has had a hard life!

The white metal figures look great and I'm looking forward to seeing them come to life with some colour added
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Thats some really nice work, thanks for sharing.
George B.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Superb work on the D.520 - very impressive!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Sir T wrote:Superb work on the D.520 - very impressive!
Seconded
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

TobyC wrote:
Sir T wrote:Superb work on the D.520 - very impressive!
Seconded
Thirded! that really does look the business. Great to see some armour too.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Love the finish on the D.520!
Excellent!

David
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks for the compliments! I was pretty happy with the results for the D.520. A very nice kit if you can find one.

I finished the 28mm Tiger 1 and Sherman. Since these are intended to be game pieces, more or less, I kept the weathering to a minimum. They're really fun to build.

I also picked up this LITTLE tankette kit over the weekend. A 1/72 Japanese Type 92 Heavy Armored Vehicle (aka Calvary tankette). The box it came in was 3 inches by 2 inches.

Inside the box were a couple bags of resin parts and some "instructions".

The running gear looked daunting, but once I got working on it, it wasn't horrible. Completing the chassis was definitely the most time-consuming part of the build. Once that was done, it went together very quickly.

The tracks were resin pieces that had to be bent around the drive sprockets and return rollers. I got 3 out of 4 done with relatively little breakage. That's the 1/72 Sherman in the background.

Once it's complete, I plan on putting it on a little base. Here's a test fitting.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Wow, the tankette is brilliant!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent armour work Mig and in particular that little Japanese tankette is a charmer!

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

iggie wrote:Wow, the tankette is brilliant!
Thanks, Iggie. I really liked the finished version too. Loads of character. I wasn't too sure about it when I opened the box though.
ShaunW wrote:Excellent armour work Mig and in particular that little Japanese tankette is a charmer!
Thanks!

After 3 armor projects in a row, and one (or two) on the bench, I figured it was time to get back to working on an aircraft. No, not one of the one's I've already started, that would make too much sense. Instead, I'll work on probably the worst kit on my bench. Revell's 1/72 B-17e, from the early 70s.

I'm sure the kit was "state of the art" at the time, but has been surpassed by so many of the recent offerings of this plane in this scale, that it hardly seems worth starting. Still, it's been in a box long enough, so it's going to be built. The kit has no interior details, other what passes for seats in the cockpit, and a couple bombs in the bomb bay. The model is intended to be built with upper and lower turrets that rotate, bomb bay doors that open and close, and wheels that raise and lower! I'm going to try to build it with as many of these features as possible, but I'm going to paint over all of the glass (and there's a lot of it).
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh yes, that Revell B-17E. The evocative box art work, look of the fuselage parts, "working" features, the advertising stuff for the LM and I wonder who won the Revell $5000 scholarship? (a fair amount of money in 1974 I would imagine), it just oozes classicness and it's really great to see it being built!

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking forward to seeing you build this, and comparing it against the new tool Airfix version I built earlier this year
Best wishes

Jim
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:Oh yes, that Revell B-17E. The evocative box art work, look of the fuselage parts, "working" features, the advertising stuff for the LM and I wonder who won the Revell $5000 scholarship? (a fair amount of money in 1974 I would imagine), it just oozes classicness and it's really great to see it being built!
Hmmm...hadn't thought about looking into that scholarship. Now, I'm going to have to do some research on it.

Although, the kit decals were useless, I found a set to replace them, so I'll be going with the cover art version in my build.
iggie wrote:Looking forward to seeing you build this, and comparing it against the new tool Airfix version I built earlier this year
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed and off the bench! It will be no comparison to the Airfix version, especially your finished product. I started masking the clear parts and thought it would drive me mad, so this will be done with painted glass, not like it will be hiding much since the interior is barren.

The B-17 is going to take a LOT of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, etc., so while that goes on in the background I figured I'd crack open something else and get it started. It's been a while since I worked on an Airfix kit, and since that's what this forum is supposed to be about, I figured I was due.

I've already done 2 Red Tail planes in 1/48, so I was thinking about doing a different scheme, but after browsing the LHS supply of decals and kits, decided I'd build this one straight out of the box. I managed to get the cockpit finished pretty quickly. It sure is nicely detailed and was a pleasure to work with.

I should be able to get this one done pretty quickly. No work tomorrow, and then a relatively quiet weekend.

Return to “Workbench Window”