Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Ooh! I have that Red Tailed Mustang too, but am way too intimidated to tackle it at present. Nice work so far.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Ural
Active Participant

Post by Ural »

Hello! I really like the D 520! amazing work

Very nice tanks too!
iggie

Post by iggie »

That Airfix P51 is always bound to put a smile on your face :-D

(Just watch out for the windcreen; it pays to fit that first, then the canopy I found)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Ooh! I have that Red Tailed Mustang too, but am way too intimidated to tackle it at present. Nice work so far.
Thanks! I have to agree with you. Having done this scheme twice in 1/48th scale, doesn't make the NMF and red scheme any easier.

Ural wrote:Hello! I really like the D 520! amazing work

Very nice tanks too!
Thanks!

iggie wrote:That Airfix P51 is always bound to put a smile on your face :-D

(Just watch out for the windcreen; it pays to fit that first, then the canopy I found)
Of course, I read this about an hour AFTER putting the canopy/windscreen in. :roll:

It was a pretty tight fit, but I think I got it done. However, I'm sure it'll all come apart when I pull the masking back.

So, the Mustang is built.

I got it primed just fine, then moved on to spraying some Chrome Silver, and disaster struck. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I may have had a small amount of lacquer thinner still in the airbrush after cleaning it. When I sprayed the model, the silver shot out in splatters and made a mess. It seemed to spray just fine on a few test shots away from the model beforehand, so I'm not sure where I went wrong, except in my haste. Now, it sits in a half primed, half splattered state, awaiting stripping and sanding.

I did manage to complete the build of my 1/72 Dragon Sherman, and I've started to paint the stowage I'm going to attach. Still a ways to go.

For whatever reason, I also decided to open this little package over the weekend.

Although, the kit has a number of accuracy issues (small turret, wrong tracks, and some other less obvious things), it goes together great, just like other 1/35 Tamiya armor kits, and the end result looks like a Stuart. Now, that the Sherman is ready for paint, I'll only have to load the airbrush with Olive Drab once for two models!
iggie

Post by iggie »

I hope the P51 is salvage-able; at least with the much maligned (by some, not me) panel lines being so deep, a little light sanding won't lose any detail!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work. That Stuart is a little honey :lol:

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A trio of great looking builds Mig. I've had paint spatter out of my airbrush in a similar way to how you describe in the past and I never did get to the bottom of why.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

iggie wrote:I hope the P51 is salvage-able; at least with the much maligned (by some, not me) panel lines being so deep, a little light sanding won't lose any detail!
I didn't lose any details, and I too like the panel line details on the P-51. I agree some of the "new tool" kits have panels lines that are a little too pronounced, but I think the Mustang's are fine.
Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice work. That Stuart is a little honey :lol:
Nigel
Thanks, Nigel! I see what you did there. ;-)
ShaunW wrote:A trio of great looking builds Mig. I've had paint spatter out of my airbrush in a similar way to how you describe in the past and I never did get to the bottom of why.
Thanks, Shaun! I think I was just working too quickly moving from one paint to the next and didn't completely clean the thinner out of my brush before spraying the silver.

While painting some figures, I had some extra olive and decided to try it on the Mustang. I liked brush painting the model so much, that I began using some of the silver I had nearby and picked out a few random panels. For whatever reason, I found this to be very therapeutic, and I've been picking up the P-51 and painting a panel here, or there, whenever the mood strikes. Here's what the Mustang looks like now.

I probably should have put some silver, or white down before trying to paint red over the black primer, but I'll get it done eventually.

I also managed to finish the Tamiya M3 Stuart.

As I've mentioned there are a number of inaccuracies with the kit, and it's markings, but it was a fun build that went together quickly, and at the end of the day it looks like a Stuart.

I also managed to get some paint on the Dragon 1/72 Sherman. Still need to pick out details, and do some weathering, then figure out the base situation.

The tank crew is finished and awaiting the base too.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great work on your figures. The Sherman looks like a nice little kit, and 35th Tamiya kits. Can't really go wrong.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Yes indeedy, a fine trio of builds - great work with the tonal variations in the OD and NMF plus some excellent figure painting as well!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Marek

Post by Marek »

Great builds! I like the color modulation on the Stu-kette :).
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Love the subtle weathering on the Stuart!

cheers,

David
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Great work, thanks for sharing.
George B.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Can't believe the Sherman is 1/72! Very nice.

The Stuart as well. Some gorgeous tones in there. What kind of finish did you use. I like the subtle shine you have gotten.

Mustang is looking fine! It is great when they offer the option of dropped flaps.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.

Return to “Workbench Window”