Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by mjatx »

skypirate wrote:Lovely shading on the Stuart!

cheers,

David
Thanks, David. I was planning on painting it Russian Armor green, when I realized it was out of that color. Then it dawned on me, that a lend lease tank would have been painted an olive color. I didn't have it handy, but did have some medium green, which I sprayed over a black base, and I'm pretty happy with the result.
Marek wrote:Good looking Stuart. I guess the 1/56th scale is starting to catch up with the modelling world.
Thanks, Marek. I've built a few of these, and the plastic kits are fairly nice. The resin models are not necessarily as detailed, but some of the more rare tank versions are only available via resin.

The Italeri Stuart is done, I'll try to post some photos later. I got the Bf-109 painted and ready for decals, only to discover that the decals are too yellowed to be usable. I guess I should have paid closer attention to them beforehand, but hindsight is always 20/20. Because of the paint scheme I used, I'm kind of stuck looking for that same set of decals. I've found a sheet with the same markings, but the sheet alone costs about as much as the Airfix Bf-109e-7 kit with the same decals. Now I have the dilemma of adding another kit to the stash? Or just buying the decal sheet?

Maybe a quick trip to the LHS for lunch will help make up my mind.
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Really like that PT 109. Would like to try something like that someday.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

A:B 2017 0:0 2016 27:10 2015 53:07 2014 21:04 2013 39:12 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 332:84
celt

Post by celt »

Great mix of models done really well.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Narayan wrote:Really like that PT 109. Would like to try something like that someday.

Thanks, Narayan. Honestly, I would probably never have bought this kit for myself and when I opened it up on Christmas, I wasn't too sure about it. Turns out it was a nice kit to put together and actually pretty fun. It's nice to break out of the mold every once in a while. Not sure I'll run back and build another ship, but this was a pretty good experience.
celt wrote:Great mix of models done really well.
Thanks, Celt!

Here's the photos of the completed Italeri 1/56 M3A1 Stuart. I did it as a Lend/Lease Soviet machine because the markings were simple enough, and I always like the look of the Cryllic sayings on the side. I can usually recognize the "For Stalin!" or "Kill the Fritz!" ones, but I'm not sure what this one says. I'm sure it's equally inspiring.

I also made a quick trip to the LHS yesterday and they didn't have any after-market decals for my Bf-109, but they did have the Airfix Bf-109e-7 kit, which had the decals I needed! So, I went in looking for decals and I got them, plus a kit....oh yeah, and one more kit that I will probably do for the Blitzbau GB. :roll:
iggie

Post by iggie »

That Stuart is delightful!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice! красиво сделано товарищ!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Very nice M3A1
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Very nice! красиво сделано товарищ!
спасибо товарищу!
celt

Post by celt »

That Stuart is a real Honey,well tidy mun. :)
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

celt wrote:That Stuart is a real Honey,well tidy mun. :)
I see what you did there. ;-)

Thanks!

I put the new decals onto my Bf-109. I tried airbrushing the mottle and wasn't happy with the results, so I switched to hairy stick and I'm only slightly happier with the results.
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

superb job on the M3A1 and you've mastered the weathering
craig
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Great stuff coming off your workbench mjatx. The Stuart is lovely, makes me want to build more small-scale armour. The Bf 109 looks good too.
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Fine job on the M3A1. Such subtle shades and tones. Me 109 looks good too. Mottle camo is hard to do but is turned out just fine, especially with a hairy stick.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

A couple of years ago, a friend asked if I wanted his Space Monkey 1/24 V2. He'd built it 99.9% of the way, but realized he didn't have space/room to display this massive model (it stands about 2 feet tall). I took it and thought it'd be a pretty cool addition to the collection. Well, at least 2 years later (maybe 3?), I decided to get it painted and off the WIP list.

I'm going to paint it in a basic Black/White scheme which was used on a version used for training purposes, as well as a gate guard later in life. Should make a decent conversation piece for the office.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

planecrazyman61 wrote:superb job on the M3A1 and you've mastered the weathering
craig
Thanks, Craig! Although, I'm not so sure "mastered" is the word I'd use. Definitely, feel more comfortable with it though.
Migrant wrote:Great stuff coming off your workbench mjatx. The Stuart is lovely, makes me want to build more small-scale armour. The Bf 109 looks good too.
Thanks! I really do like these 1/56th kits and have 2 more in stash that will probably make their way to the bench soon enough. Two Tigers this time.
PGAS wrote:Fine job on the M3A1. Such subtle shades and tones. Me 109 looks good too. Mottle camo is hard to do but is turned out just fine, especially with a hairy stick.
Thank you. I sat through an airbrushing clinic recently, and I think I need to update my gun if I'm going to make any better progress.

Return to “Workbench Window”