Miguelito's shiny work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Miguelito's shiny work bench

Post by ShaunW »

There are great builds going on here Mig. The desert scheme on the '109E is one of my favourite finishes for the aircraft but as of yet I have never managed the scheme with an airbrush. Particularly in 1/72nd it would take great patience, a steady hand and a fine nozzle/needle assembly!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

I picked up the Tamiya SdKfz 223 kit that I had started and was able to get pretty far on it. I plan on adding it to a base, with a few figures standing around.

I also decided to pull out another kit, the Tamiya Dewoitine D.520.

The kit seemed simple enough, so I figured I see what the cockpit looked like together. After about 10 minutes of assembly, and very limited clean up, I got this together. I think I have some photoetch belts that I can add to it, since I don't plan on putting the pilot in there.

Another 30 minutes later, and all of the sub-assemblies were together.

This was a really nice kit to work on. The decals provide options for French, Vichy French, or Free French, but I've got some Bulgarian decals laying around here some place, and they also had a few of these planes, so I may go with one of those.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I do like those Tamiya kits - I really should build more.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the 223 and figure Mig, that is some excellent painting and weathering. I almost bought one of those Tamiya Dewoitine kits a while ago as I only have one solitary aircraft model in French markings but resisted the urge, maybe I shouldn't have!

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The Tamiya SdKfz 223 is completed. Not a bad little kit. This is the "vintage" late 60's version, but I don't know that the kit has changed much since it's original version. It comes with a few figures and a decent amount of equipment. I put a Hornet head on the guy standing next to the vehicle, and some photoetch parts in various places, but other than that, everything is straight out of the box. I may add some Divisional markings down the road, but there are plenty of examples without any, so who knows.

I got the i/p and pilot painted for the Tamiya D.520. It's really a very nice kit. Can't wait to see how the fuselage goes together.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Really great work with the 223 Mig and that is a great little diorama. I built the equally vintage 222 kit a few years ago and did it OOB apart from etch grenade screening on the hatch covers instead of using the black plastic mesh provided in the kit. Old Tamiya vehicles generally build up nicely IMHO and can still look good. The pilot and IP from the Dewoitine look fantastic!

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, Shaun.

Between work, and general life commitments, I haven't had too much productive time on the bench. I managed to get the D.520 cockpit finished up, but not much more than that. Tamiya provides a nice, simple cockpit, with just enough details to make it interesting and not overly complicated to assemble. It's really a fun kit to work on, when I can work on it.

Still unsure of which scheme I'll finish this one as, but pretty sure it will be one of the French options provided with the kit. I have a choice of either French Air Force, Vichy French Air Force, or Free French Air Force.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great figure painting.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I can but agree, that is a great looking pilot figure.

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Thanks, gents! I've been trying to focus a little more on my figure painting, so the compliments are very appreciated. Still a ways to go, but when I look back at some of my earlier attempts, I definitely see some progress. With a few projects languishing on the bench in various states of incompletion, I decided to crack open a new kit to see if that would help get the creative juices flowing again.

The victim this time is Italeri's 1/56 Tiger I. I'm becoming very found of these 1/56 kits. They go together quickly, with very little fuss, have nice details, and usually come with a decent figure or two.

Construction starts with the tracks and road wheels, which are molded separately from the lower hull.

Having all the road wheels molded into one piece cuts down on the level of detail, but makes assembly much easier. In this scale, and hopefully with a little paint trickery, the lack of space between wheels won't be too noticeable. The drive sprocket comes in two parts and is designed so the tracks go around the smooth part to make it look like the sprocket teeth are inside the tracks.

The tracks go together so quickly, and IMHO, look really great. I really wish Airfix would take notice and re-release some of their armor kits with multi-piece plastic tracks to replace their HORRIBLE rubber band ones.

The upper hull goes together very quickly, and has some nicely detailed tools molded directly to the deck. The rear vents are probably the biggest weakness on the kit, but are passable.

The turret went together so quickly, I didn't even get any "in progress" shots. I've left off turret hatches and machine guns to keep them from breaking off, and I think I'm going to add to figures (well, 1/2 figures) to the turret.

This went together in less than an hour. As far as the figures, here are the two I'm planning on adding to the turret.

The plastic one came with the kit, the metal one came out of the spares box.

Working on this tank, got the mojo back, because no sooner had I finished the tank, than I picked up the Tamiya D.520 and finished it's build.

Now I have a few projects ready for the paint bench. Hopefully, the motivation will continue.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Super progress on these subjects. Very nice.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Tiger looks like a great kit. With the tracks on I think the lack of space twixt the wheels is not really noticeable. There seems to be a decent level of overall detail and the Zimeritt looks nicely rendered although I dare say some would say that it looks too uniform. The Tamiya D.520 looks, well, like a typical Tamiya product - excellent!

IPMS#12300
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

ShaunW wrote:That Tiger looks like a great kit. With the tracks on I think the lack of space twixt the wheels is not really noticeable. There seems to be a decent level of overall detail and the Zimeritt looks nicely rendered although I dare say some would say that it looks too uniform. The Tamiya D.520 looks, well, like a typical Tamiya product - excellent!
The Tiger is very nice, and like I said it really flies together. These kits can be a little pricey though, but any time I can find one for less than $20 (US) I pick one up. Here it sits with it's base coat and first shot of camo applied. I still need to add some Olivgrun, then pick out details, etc.

The crew members are, more or less done, and just waiting for their ride.

The Tamiya kit is very typical mid-90's Tamiya, a simple, well-engineered build, with enough cockpit details to make it interesting, and all contained on two sprues. Here it sits primed with the cowling painted. I'm going to do a late war version, one that started with the French, then to the Germans, and finally back to the French.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great figures.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Terrific work going all over your workbench!
And wonderful variety too!

cheers,

David

Return to “Workbench Window”