Irish aircraft, Aeroplane Monthly

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Irish aircraft, Aeroplane Monthly

Post by Arcwelder »

There's an absolutely fantastic article about aircraft used over Ireland during the War Of Independence and the Civil War in the 1920s in this month's Aeroplane magazine, including a detailed list of types/serials used by the Free State between 1921-23. It's not only given me some great ideas for builds, it also mentions that an RAF F2B came down just outside the tiny Co.Limerick village I grew up in. The navigator was imprisoned by the local IRA and the plane was burned. Apparently the RAF overflew the village with more F2Bs as a show of strength to "encourage" his release. I had literally never heard of this until now, so will be badgering the local history buffs for more info.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
fredk

Re: Irish aircraft, Aeroplane Monthly

Post by fredk »

The part played by the RAF during 1918-1922 is very much ignored.
I found out the RAF had an airfield at Omagh and one somewhere near Ballygawley/Augher/Aughnacloy/Dungannon during 1918-21/22 for duties with ground forces to suppress 'rebel' forces in Donegal and Cavan.

Must look out for that copy tomorrow.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Let me know if you can't find it.. I'll photocopy the relevant pages and send them your way. Now trying to source a Martinsyde Buzzard kit to convert to a Type A MkII "Big Fella"

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I think AZ do a Buzzard in 1/72.

I found it a very interesting article too.

The years 1918 to 1922 in Ireland are rather sketchily covered. Part of the reason for this is because during that period, both the British and Irish protagonists carried out all sorts of operations which they would have preferred to be forgotten. The Civil War that followed the War of Independence is also still a rather sensitive period in Anglo-Irish history and new information from government archives is still being uncovered..
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Eric Mc wrote:I think AZ do a Buzzard in 1/72.

I found it a very interesting article too.

The years 1918 to 1922 in Ireland are rather sketchily covered. Part of the reason for this is because during that period, both the British and Irish protagonists carried out all sorts of operations which they would have preferred to be forgotten. The Civil War that followed the War of Independence is also still a rather sensitive period in Anglo-Irish history and new information from government archives is still being uncovered..
Very true. We're lucky to have one of the foremost scholars who is rethinking and clarifying the events of the Revolutionary Period/Civil War, Dr John Borgonovo, here at UCC. Even better, he drinks at my local! :-D

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

He doesn't sound very Irish :)
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

Eric Mc wrote:He doesn't sound very Irish :)
Which adds to the fun: some Irish historians' noses are very out-of-joint at this American who has the temerity to question some long-held assumptions about our past!

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Sometimes an "outsider" is what is required to see things more clearly.

Return to “Publications”