Airfix Yearbook 2016

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Yearbook 2016

Post by iggie »

If anyone was considering getting a copy, it is available from Key Publishing at cover price with free post

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/ ... de/SPECAYB

They are also doing what looks like a good 'Farewell to The Vulcan' special

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/ ... n-Farewell

I have no connection with Key, just thought this might be of use to some!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
iggie

Re: Airfix Yearbook 2016

Post by iggie »

Just received the above publications and I have to say the Airfix yearbook is excellent!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I have their 1978 Annual somewhere.
fredk

Post by fredk »

iggie wrote:Just received the above publications and I have to say the Airfix yearbook is excellent!
I bought mine yesterday. To me; a waste of money.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I had a glance in it yesterday, I won't be buying it.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

For those of us who haven't seen it, could you expand on those comments? :)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'll expand on mine; I thought the yearbook to be excellent because it included the usual catalogue information, but a lot of extra information, advice and build guides that were not previously included. Whilst I appreciate that not everyone wants this, I see it as a big improvement on the more usual 'this is what we do' approach, by adding a 'and this is how we/you can do it' section.
There is plenty of information regarding upcoming new releases and re-releases, both for individual kits and for boxed sets of multiple kits/figures etc.

At the end of the day, it's a marketing tool; at least Airfix have attempted (well in my opinion) to make it a lot more subtle.... :-D
Best wishes

Jim
fredk

Post by fredk »

My quick review;
50% of page coverage in the 'Airfix Index' - a list of kits available in '16 - is [are?] photos of box art work. The list is not user friendly. The lists are too much broken up by the photos; orphan & widow parts of the lists [anyone involved in publishing knows what this means]
Kits listed by Series, but not always. Not easy to find a kit if you don't know the series. I was looking for the WW2 German multipose soldiers. Not under 'Figures'; eventually spotted them under 'Medium Starter Gift Sets'.
8 pages devoted to a Showcase of built models - 2 to a page.
Several pages devoted to the new kits for 16, and the real subject.
Several 'how to build' articles, these are relatively good
2 pages devoted to Kit Starter - which, going by their website and forum, has died away without a whimper.
130 pages; much of the content is spread over 2 pages whereas that could easily have fitted on one or a half page.

To me its a poorly laid out catalogue with many useless articles and just a few to lift the interest and lot of page space wasted.
I'm looking at this not only as a reader but also as someone who owned his own publishing company which turned out monthly magazines for motorsport over about 20 years.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Bring back the Airfix Annual I say.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Is this a replacement for the more traditional catalogue?
chrism

Post by chrism »

Yes Eric. I too bought one and felt that £4 would have represented fair price for it. £8 seems a tad too much for the little actually in it. Or if there was a voucher to cut out and send off for something eg £5 off an order it could have justified itself better. It is obvious it has been in production since the early part of year with emphasis as is on kit starter etc. As for a build article of Lusty it's more than clear they must have had a shed load of them to shift given prices over past year and now a build article to try and entice more to try her.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

In the old days the Airfix catalogue was a must-have, but the last few years I have really only been buying it out of habit and loyalty to the brand.

In reality all I need is http://www.airfix.com;, anything else is superfluous, it's all on the web site. And if, as Chris says, it is now £8 then I'll probably pass.

Zee28
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Copied over from a thread I'd started in Small Talk. I've added a bit more to it.

Airfix have changed the format of their 2016 Catalogue. It is now termed a Yearbook.

All the little panels with artwork and details of models, have gone. These only appear in CGI images for new releases. The only featured kits list is just that, a list at the back of the book. A new theme is a showcase of their recent releases. Also, a How to Build section and potted histories of new releases.

So. Good, or Bad? Basically, a nice move, but I liked to see the current kits as small picture panels with details appended. I feel that a catalogue, which is basically what it still is, should show all the models as Box Art. I was always under the impression that a picture told a thousand words and that a lot of modellers, especially the young ones, were drawn to the model via the box art. Looking at what fired me up from being a kid, was the box art. Roy Cross and John Steele come readily to mind. I am still a sucker for a good box art picture. Overall, I would say that Airfix have been trying to get more in, over and above the usual, but, though I like the new parts, I do miss those Box Art panels showing all the models in the range, rather than just the bare, harder to follow, lists.

Humbrol is still featured at the back, by the way.
So many models, so little time.
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

I was lucky enough to be given a copy and although there were some interesting bits I would not of bought one. I thought they could of made it half the pages as there was as previously mentioned a lot of wasted space and there could have been either more detail on kits shown, or more build tips, and detail on new kits for 2016. I think they should bring back the catalogue both to buy and free for club members and publish the year book more like the old annual.
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
I love the smell of avgas in the morning!
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Well, after saying above I wouldn't be buying it, somebody has now given it to me as a gift! Not a bad read really. It's quite nice. Good model photography too.

Return to “Publications”