Sixty Years of Airfix Models by Jeremy Brook

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Sixty Years of Airfix Models by Jeremy Brook

Post by CementNotGlue »

I simply love books that you can dive into at random or, with the help of here, an almost comprehensive index.

It reads as an elaborate history of what was offered and when and to this aim Jeremy Brook is well aware that novices, lapsed modellers even, will be delving into this. Though saved by such revealing sections such as Airfix artists and packaging. The latter unfortunately uses the old Ju 87 Stuka as an example and, inadvertently, the perpetuation of the incorrect "SZ" code instead of 'S2' of StG 77.

Pictures of Boxes and completed kits outweigh the text. My favourite has to be the SAM-2 missile set and I want Brook to offer a glimmer of hope with the advent of 3D printing, but no. He does not even remark on how the plastic has become more brittle over the years. The size of the pictures rarely give justice to their subject matter. Indeed I had to get the magnifying glass out to establish that it really was Arab Bedouins that I was looking at.

I am grateful to Suffolk Libraries, who are facing a reduced book-purchasing budget, for lending me this inspirational book that has evocative powers of nostalgia, possible future projects and an antidote to procrastination in abundance.

The Crowood Press 2015
£25.00
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sixty Years of Airfix Models by Jeremy Brook

Post by Ratch »

Highly recommended ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Sixty Years of Airfix Models by Jeremy Brook

Post by Chuck E »

Very nice. As I've been at it for 60 years this year, I feel as though I must get this book.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Publications”