The Secret Years

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

The Secret Years

Post by splash »

I picked up a really interesting book from a secondhand book shop today , is called the secret years , flight testing at Boscombe down 1939 to 1945 by Tim Mason .

It's a large book with 320 pages the front cover says this is the story of the highly classified work of the aeroplane armament experimental establishment of Boscombe down and the intense ever expanding business of testing aircraft varied armaments in wartime.

Everyone of over 1500 British American and German aircraft of the RAF, Fleet Air Arm, Army and in the Luftwaffe which were tested at Boscombe down are covered.

Using much new material and some 500 photographs many previously secret unpublished unusual variants of standard service aircraft types, as well as machines which remained purely experimental and the files with their guns, bombs , rocket and equipment described in detail.

It looks to be a really interesting book it's full of colour profiles, with close up's of bombs, rockets installations & turrets. basically you name it its got.

The book set me back £45 but the amount of information in it makes it good value for money.

The ISBN No is 0-9519899-9-5

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: The Secret Years

Post by BWP »

It sounds a very interesting book, splash, but I fear that your bookseller found you an easy target -- RRP on Amazon.co.uk is GBP35 (and they sell it for less)!
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It's the story of my life, the marked price was £45 but as I bought two books he knocked off £5 and I picked up an original 1943 royal observer corps basic aircraft recognition guide in excellent condition, that has 130 pages of two view silhouettes showing most of the a/c in use world wide in 1943.

The two cost £50 so I'm happy even if I did pay over the odds, in the past I have missed books and spent years trying to find them again.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Splash,

That one's on my list, too. Although I note feedback at Amazon UK that there are a lot of 'informational' errors in the text. I wouldn't know, myself. Anyone else have a view?

One further thought: wouldn't this thread sit better within the "Publications" sub-forum?

regards,
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."

Return to “Publications”