The Battle of Britain by James Holland

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

The Battle of Britain by James Holland

Post by bassman »

A few weeks ago I was looking for a book to read during my holiday in the Ardennes, Belgium (yes we had rain for two weeks).
In a local bookstore I found "The Battle of Britain" by James Holland for just 12,99 Euro. For this low price you get 900+ pages. The book was added to the holiday luggage.

The book starts on May 5 1940, the start of the invasion of the low countries and France and ends after the Battle of Britain. The information between these two points gives you in detail how Germany geared up for the final battle in the west. The information is given through the eyes of people from this period. Both German and British soldiers and civilians tell their story. Some of these soldiers and civilians are pictured on the photo pages which is nice to have some faces.
A large part of the book is dedicated to the escape from Duinkerken. I was surprised to read so much about this battle and how this battle also influenced the Battle of Britain. There is also a lot of pre-war information about how the RAF and Luftwaffe were build up.
What becomes clear while reading is that the outcome could have been completely different if the right decisions were taken on the German side.

Maybe this book was already available in the UK but is was only just imported in the Netherlands.
Henk
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The Battle of Britain by James Holland

Post by Eric Mc »

It was released in hardback here in the UK lsast summer (in time for the BoB 70th anniversary). Holland also presented a TV documentary on the subject last summer - which was pretty good.

Return to “Publications”