New Frog Penguin book due to arrive...

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

New Frog Penguin book due to arrive...

Post by petervanlune »

Hello members!

I thought I'd let you know that a new book is underways…

If all goes well, and I assume it will, by December/January my book about the history of the FROG PENGUIN range will be published and available.

I have spent the past 10 years working on it, during the long cold Dutch winter evenings ;-). At first not even with the idea that it might turn into a book, but it has…

The book will have about 200 pages and about the same number of color/bw photos. FROG, as you may know, was started in 1932 by Charles and John Wilmot, with Joe Mansour. My book has been written with the aid and cooperation of Avril Bardoni, daughter of Charles, and Jeremy Manser, son of Joe.
I have also been very fortunate with the help of Richard Lines, co-author of the magnificant book on FROG published in 1989 - currently 89 years old but still going strong. He helped me answering many questions and providing documents, etc.

The book will contain many unpublished photos, documents, etc. and all the advertisements I could find relating to the Penguin range.

It is far from a dull list of facts, data and figures… I have tried to put the Penguin range in the historical context of the Second World War, it contains many memories of modellers now in their 80's or, alas, already passed away… It will explain more about Charles and John Wilmot and Joe Mansour, with the aid of memories of Avril and Jeremy. I also explained more about the wartime activities of FROG/IMA and followed the lifes of Charles and Joe after leaving IMA in 1944.
Most of the photos come from my own Penguin collection but I have also been able to get the help of other collectors, so it covers about 99% of all the Penguin kits that were ever issued.

After publication of many other books on other manufacturers like Monogram, Aurora, Revell, Airfix, again Airfix, and again Airfix ( ;-) ), etc. a seperate book about the range that started it all was long overdue.
The Penguin kits have been covered in Lines/Hellstroms book from 1989, but I am sure my book will add many (unknown) details, corrections, etc.

I found professor Kenneth Brown, author of several books on the history of toys, willing to write the forword - very thankfull for that.

Since the first Penguin kits were issued in December 1936, this coming December 2016 will mark the 80th anniversary of the Penguin range (and plastic modelling therefore…) - .

Kind regards,
Peter van Lune
The Netherlands
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: New Frog Penguin book due to arrive...

Post by PaulBradley »

Interesting! I look forward to seeing it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, me also !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

Two sample pages from the first chapters:

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some well written modelling history is always most welcome on my shelves. Can you do Matchbox afterwards? :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

JamesPerrin wrote:Some well written modelling history is always most welcome on my shelves. Can you do Matchbox afterwards? :grin:
Thanks - I hope it will have a good reception - I did receive some good reviews from several proofreaders, including Richard Lines himself, who was surprised that so much new material was found about the Penguin range, but also about FROG's initiators and their inventions.
I doubt if I will do Matchbox ;-) - The Penguin range has been my favorite for almost 20 years now and, as mentioned, it took me 10 years to complete this book.
Now this dream has come to true perhaps a 2nd edition may only be a possible future project ;-).
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Great news!

Return to “Publications”