WW2 reference

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
W1ls0n
starter kit

WW2 reference

Post by W1ls0n »

For ww2 modellers. Found on e-bay about 1 year ago. Squadron codes 1937-56 by Michael J.F. Bowyer & John D.R. Rawlings. Also R.A.F. Squadrons Editions 1& 2 by Wing Commander C.G. Jefford. All are old publications but they are still out there somewhere, and excellent reference books.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: WW2 reference

Post by Eric Mc »

The Squadron Code books by Rawlings were excellent. I think they were based on articles originally published in Airfix Magazine.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: WW2 reference

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, Airfix Magazine ran several lengthy series: Fighting Colours, Bombing Colours, British Army colours and markings, Squadron Codes 1937-1956, and others. The good old days when modeling magazines were a valuable source of reference material and modeling information.

Many of these series were then released as books, notably Fighting Colours, Bombing Colours. and Squadron Codes. In most cases the books were not simple reprints, but were expanded, corrected, etc.

Jefford's RAF Squadrons did not come out of Airfix Magazine, but is invaluable -- one of my favorite references for tracing squadron lineage, aircraft used, etc..
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Publications”