Review: Ad Hoc Publications Scimitar

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Review: Ad Hoc Publications Scimitar

Post by PaulBradley »

Scimitar: From the Cockpit 2
By Michael J. Doust
Ad Hoc Publications

One of the “From the Cockpit” series from Roger Chesneau’s Ad Hoc Publications, this volume on the little-known Supermarine Scimitar will please those looking for references for the Xtrakit kit.

The last of Supermarine’s fighters, dating back to the Spitfire, the Scimitar was not a great success with only 76 built and a mere 8 years of service. Nevertheless, it is fondly remembered by its pilots, as is evident from this book.

Michael Doust has written a number of books for Ad Hoc and once again writes with a wealth of knowledge stemming from his years of service on the Scimitar. His text is interspersed with many first-hand accounts from Scimitar pilots. No dry tale this; many amusing and hair-raising incidents pepper the text as pilots mastered their mounts. Although it could get off the ground and climb to altitude with alacrity, its performance when it arrived was rather pathetic, as if it had used up all its energy just getting there. But it was a good attack aircraft and indeed was the first of the Fleet Air Arm’s nuclear bombers.

Accompanying the text is a wealth of terrific photos, many of which are from private sources and have not been seen before, and a series of colour profile paintings.

There are few Scimitar kits around. In 1/48, Dynavector released a mixed media kit in the mid-nineties, while an all resin kit from CMR can be found in 1/72. Recently, Xtrakit have also released a 1/72 kit. References to aid in the construction and finishing of these kits are few and far between and while not specifically a modeler’s book, this is nonetheless a very valuable addition to the naval aviation enthusiast’s library and I can heartily recommend it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Review: Ad Hoc Publications Scimitar

Post by Flute »

PaulBradley wrote:
There are few Scimitar kits around. In 1/48, Dynavector released a mixed media kit in the mid-nineties, while an all resin kit from CMR can be found in 1/72. Recently, Xtrakit have also released a 1/72 kit.

FWIW there's also another ancient vac, far poorer than the Dynavector kit, in 1/48th. IIRC it was by Hallam-Vac. Got one somewhere, and it looks buildable, at least., even if I don't know where I put it There was also an effort in 1/72nd by Contrail. Not brilliant.

Nice review, Paul.. Guess I'm now 'forced' to get a copy, and another kit (already did the CMR kit some time ago).

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.

Return to “Publications”