Review: Westland Lysander MMP Orange Series

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Review: Westland Lysander MMP Orange Series

Post by PaulBradley »

Westland Lysander
By James Kightly
Mushroom Model Publications

The Westland Lysander is one of those aircraft that, designed for a specific role, was a failure in that role but found acclaim in another totally unintended task. In this case, the vulnerable army co-operation aircraft became the darling of the French Resistance by carrying out nighttime sorties to pick up and drop agents and supplies. But the Lysander also served on other less glamorous roles with equal aplomb; target tug, air sea rescue and trainer.

Another volume in Mushroom Model Publications’ Orange Series features this ungainly aircraft in what I believe to be the first full length monograph on this type, although both Warpaint and 4+ have produced modeler’s references in the past. In their usual fashion, MMP rely on previously unpublished first hand accounts of the type’s use. These are interesting and provide some useful background history for our models, something I feel to be a necessary adjunct to our hobby. Alongside these accounts are tons of photos, many of these apparently previously unpublished. The book details the history of the type and an interesting section gives comprehensive information about exports and foreign usage, including those by the USAAF in Europe.

The second part of the book is MMP’s customary comprehensive color coverage, in this instance running to 62 pages. These include many detail photos of some of the handful of survivors that exist; in deed, MMP include details of all 13 known extant airframes. Also included is a complete set of plans to 1/72 scale. Rounding out the book are 28 full-color profiles covering all roles and many nations.

All this is very useful indeed to anyone tackling one of the handful of Lysander kits available on the market. The fact that this book is so inexpensive makes it all the more valuable. As a series, this is proving to be very useful indeed as MMP tackles subjects that have never previously been so comprehensively covered. This book is certainly no exception and I can heartily recommend it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Re: Review: Westland Lysander MMP Orange Series

Post by Migrant »

Thanks Paul, nice review. I would add that anyone even contemplating building a MMP subject in the distant future should pick up a copy as soon as possible after publication, as it seems they sell out quickly and are rarely re-printed. There are several Mushroom titles which I passed over at the time and now really wish I'd bought when I had the chance.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Review: Westland Lysander MMP Orange Series

Post by PaulBradley »

Agreed, Mike - I haven't found one yet I don't like.

Squadron often has them for sale at bargain basement prices, so those of you in the US should keep your eyes open.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Publications”