Jet Aircraft of the World

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Jet Aircraft of the World

Post by PaulBradley »

Bought this one from e-Bay for a song, based on the names on the cover. William Green was the doyen of aviation writers in the fifties/sixties, and I have a number of his books. What really attracted my attention was the co-author's name - Roy Cross, well-known aviation artist and producer of many of our favourite Airfix box art paitings. The book is from 1953 and chronicles the progress in jet aircraft from 1939 to the (then) present, beginning with the Heinkel 176 and ending with the F-101 Voodoo

So I was expecting there to be some of Cross' work featured in the book - not so! There are NO Roy Cross paintings inside this book - I'm not certain the cover is his, though other early Cross paintings are a similar style. The three-view b+w panitings inside are by another author, while some of the drawings are by Ian Huntley. It appears that Cross did contribute to the text. This was rather disappointing to say the least.

Nevertheless, this is still a nice book for the nostalgic aviation enthusiast and collector of vintage aviation books.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Publications”