Airfix The Golden Age 1955-1982

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Airfix The Golden Age 1955-1982

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

by Didier Palix.

Has anyone gotten this yet ? I understand it was to be available at SMW ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix The Goilden Age 1955-1982

Post by Ratch »

Yup,
AIRFIX The Golden Age 1955 - 1982
by Didier Palix

Firstly let me thank Didier Palix for sending me an advance copy of this book. Didier has written for various modelling publications and was instrumental in the founding of the Mach 2 brand. Why does the title pronounce that the years 1955 to 1982 was the golden age of Airfix? This is Didier’s personal view based on the first Airfix artwork, up to the Palitoy sanitisation of the box art and the introduction of the Type 8 – model on a blueprint – style.
Didier says that the front cover graphics may change.
This book deals with several themes in a chronological order. New kit releases, the artwork associated with those releases and an analysis of the types of packaging used on the products. Didier splits the period into five styles. These basically follow those designated by Richard Humm and Steven Pietrobon, which are used in the ATF History Section. Types 1 to 3 mirror each other, Didier’s Type 4 incorporates Type 5 on the RH/SP list and therefore his Type 5 is listed as the Type 6 Oval Logo on the RH/SP list. In fairness Didier acknowledges the differences in his Type 4 classification.
As well as describing the types of packaging used, Didier goes on to nominate those individual product packaging that are rare or hard to find. The book is homage to the early artwork including the works of Roy Cross, Charles Oates, Ken McDonough, Bryan Knight and Ken Rush. Didier clearly describes the benefits and handicaps of each type of packaging and the book is resplendent with Classic Airfix artwork. There are a few typos or things lost in translation; I have pointed these out to Didier in the hope that they can be rectified before going to print. For the collector (as a reference book) or those appreciative of Airfix box art this is a must-have tome. It will be launched at Scale Model World on 10th November 2012 and the reverse carries the price of 38 Euros. I can recommend this book.
It deals only with the aircraft issued by Airfix ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Airfix The Golden Age 1955-1982

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks, Ratch ! I'll keep looking ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Publications”