Celerbration of Flight: The Aviation Art of Roy Cross

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Celerbration of Flight: The Aviation Art of Roy Cross

Post by CementNotGlue »

What I wanted to see in this 'oversize' book, is a definitive list of all his paintings for Airfix, and where they do reproduce his artwork, at least the original size and medium, just like one finds in all good art books. Instead what we get is a selection of his paintings from his history of contribution to published aviation. So for half of the book we are treated to unfamiliar artwork, for example, three paintings of Luftwaffe aircraft with swastikas; not intended for Airfix! Also, many of his line drawings and cut-away illustrations are included between the big colour spreads. His Mig-15 being the first revelation of the type.

My favourite kit box covers from his ten years with Airfix, include the Hercules C Mk 1 in postcard size...How big was the original painting? A fanciful BV141, 'G' for Gorge with its disintegrating aileron and a swastikaless JU 88 releasing a bomb on a destroyer.

All the questions you might ask of him are included in a thoughtful and revealing text. A mugshot of him is not; what the book is about is reflected in the title.

I owe my enthusiasm for modelling to Mr Cross for his box art that inspired and promised an excitement that persisted until I learnt the limitations of the hobby. The peak of which would be the two 1/24th scale fighters, both Emil and Spit paintings included. The Mustang is also included but I never constructed it!

128 pages
http://www.airlifebooks.com;
£25.00
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Celerbration of Flight: The Aviation Art of Roy Cross

Post by Zee28 »

CementNotGlue wrote:I owe my enthusiasm for modelling to Mr Cross for his box art that inspired and promised an excitement that persisted...........
Me too!, Roy Cross was the man!

Zee
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

If what you want is ONLY Airfix box art, then this is essential as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Vintage-Yea ... 1847970761;

There's very little (no?) overlap with the other book -- I have both.

Personally, getting "celebration of flight" led me on a quest to acquire some of the other publications that you can find Roy Cross artwork in, through eBay and ABE Books. I've now developed a nice little collection...

bestest,
M.
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chris »

I picked up a copy of this, its well worth it.
Honcho of ASMMF

Return to “Publications”