Scale Model Aircraft from Vac-form Kits by Hugh Markham

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Scale Model Aircraft from Vac-form Kits by Hugh Markham

Post by CementNotGlue »

Gresham Books 1978
£1.75
ISBN 0 905418 34 4

This book recommends the use of methyl ethyl keytone (MEK) for gluing
It is a comprehensive guide including the construction of internal spars to add strength to fuselage and wings.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Scale Model Aircraft from Vac-form Kits by Hugh Markham

Post by SJPONeill »

CementNotGlue wrote:This book recommends the use of methyl ethyl keytone (MEK) for gluing.
I have quite a few modelling books and artciles from this era and I agree, they are great resources for constructing vacs that do not have the same coverage or content today. The use of MEK really dates it as finding a good relaible glue that would work with the range of plastics being used in 70s was often problematic. These days I find that normally modelling glues work fine on most plastic kits - the only problem I have had was with the ABS-like plastic in the Soar Art Dora which didn't like normal glues but which yeilded nicely to Tamiya Extra Thin...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: Scale Model Aircraft from Vac-form Kits by Hugh Markham

Post by BWP »

I have a Kalmbach book (publishers of Fine Scale Modeling) called Building and Improving Vacuum-Formed Model Aircraft by E. Richard Staszak (ISBN 0890240477). Been a while since I looked at it but from memory it seemed to cover the basics pretty well.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile

Return to “Publications”