2014 Scale Models Expo; Upper Hutt, New Zealand, 5-6 April

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
Rick Lowe
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: 2014 Scale Models Expo; Upper Hutt, New Zealand, 5-6 Apr

Post by Rick Lowe »

I'm away from home at present (and experiencing plastic-bashing withdrawal - O! How I suffer... the pain! the pain!)
so I'll let you 'take point' on that matter...

I have also heard Bunnings carry a product that, if not actually a clear casting resin as-such, is a good substitute - will report back when I have done more digging...
Mad Kiwi Rick

If Brute Force and Ignorance don't work,
You're not using enough.

When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine.

I am currently unsupervised... I know, it freaks me out, too. But the possibilities are endless!!
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Re: 2014 Scale Models Expo; Upper Hutt, New Zealand, 5-6 Apr

Post by Stevehnz »

Rick Lowe wrote: I have been told that the Reeve brand Artist's Matt Clear Varnish from Whitcoulls is a good matt coat, able to be brushed well and dries dead clear and dead flat... despite the fact it's white in the bottle and when first applied...!!
Cheers
I tracked down some of this, our local Whitcouls (Richmond) didn't have it but Nelson did so wandered in there next time we were in the "big smoke". I like it well enough, I've redone the decals & underside colour on an original Airfix Typhoon kit I made up with my youngest son when I got back into modelling about 8 years ago. The old decals were crap & the codes in a horrible grey that matched the Ocean Grey almosy perfectly, that & they'd silvered out of sight was a good excuse to redo things, I didn't know about Klear & stuff then. :oops: One of the members of ATF sent me the codes form a later boxing of this kit (thanks Chris) which I'd originally intended to use to do a HF-L on the new Airfix Typhoon. After redoing the decals right thru, with the Airfix codes in a correct sky shade & some Eagle Strike roundels,I laid on the Reevel varnish, It took a bit of stirring & shaking but dried nice & smooth though I wouldn't call it a dead flat, very much like Vallejo matt varnish which I also use, kind of satin to matt which I actually think looks better than something that is "too" matt. I'll happily use it again. A jar for about $8.00 should last a while.
Steve.

Return to “Model Shows and Events”