Airfield at a Model Model Railway show 2017

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfield at a Model Model Railway show 2017

Post by vacant »

What was I doing at a model railway show, completely out of my silo? As with last year, the show's organizers invited the local Avon IPMS branch to put on a display. We were allocated three tables in an exhibition that fully occupied three big sports' halls. My part of the display consisted of a layout that represented an RAF airfield in the early years of WW2, sort of, more or less, without too much attention to historical accuracy. It's an entirely temporary scene made up of the usual range of Airfix and other models and bits.

The idea of mixing types of modelling in one show may not appeal to everyone but from the reaction of the visitors, it certainly works. There are of course, also ideas that can be cross-fertilized between the different types of modelling. The range of diorama accessories that model railway modellers use is quite an eye opener. I have never seen anything like it at an all plastic model show. The ideas about bases and lighting are also well worth looking at.

At the Avon IPMS show in August, there will be a strong representation of wargamers. as there has been for the last three years. The combination works.

Dazzled

Re: Airfield at a Model Model Railway show 2017

Post by Dazzled »

Very nice display vacant.. I used to be an aficionado of the model railway but it fell by the wayside some time ago. I've been to lots of model railway shows where other types of model are on display or moving around(in the case of radio controlled) and have seen how this type of show really appeals to the public. It's also easier to sell to the household authorities if there's some sort of craft element included.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nicely done!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
59North

Post by 59North »

I really like what you've done. Wonderful!
I wish I had access to display these ideas in our remote locations. As it is, the only model shows I see are on the web. Joining IPMS is like having a long distance phone call. No contact.
I believe that full displays are exactly what the public wants to see. As if they care what rivet counting is, or what makes a good, well done model. We'll done models are only an idea between modellers, and not a concern of the average Susan.
We'll done, I say! The models are very well done.
L
vacant

Post by vacant »

Thanks for the comments. These photos are a second part of the display I put on at the model railway show (though I have used the same idea at other shows). The images are fuzzy because I took them from a movie I made of it. I 'flew' my camera through the scene. What is missing is the fact that the yellow blobs are flickering lights and there are also other twinkling lights on the base (Christmas decoration lights out of season). The base is a vertical air photo of Bristol docks, but don't even think about historical accuracy in the scene.

iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks really impressive, and gives a good sense of scale and drama!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The opposite of the CBK SIG Kitmaster/Airfix display at SMW 2015 ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Putting the tunnel-vision diehards aside, any real modeler will appreciate, enjoy, and learn from the work of any other modeler regardless of subject.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Model Shows and Events”