Skypirate eyeing Scale Modelworld 2018

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Skypirate eyeing Scale Modelworld 2018

Post by skypirate »

Hello all,

This year I attended the USA IPMS Nats in Omaha Nebraska (and still haven't posted any pics, sorry, - resizing for these pages is a bit of a project!)

Next year I am seriously considering attending SMW. Even if it is in November! And for the whole weekend. It will be a solo trip. Woohoo!

I would love to meet as many of you chaps as possible at the show, or perhaps doing the rounds of Duxford, Cosford, Newark around the same time.
I suppose I might spend 7-10 days in England, driving around. The last time I toured UK was in 2000, in the airshow season. I expect there have been some changes! (Certainly I have grown greyer and a teeny bit wider!)

With about 12 months to go, I would even be happy to participate in a UAMF SIG table and bring along a model.\

So, all tips and advice appreciated!

Thanks,

David
planecrazyman61

Re: Skypirate eyeing Scale Modelworld 2018

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi david it would be nice to see you and some of your work in person at telford 2018 maybe an ipms membership might help RoW price is £34 for a years membership as apposed to £20 for the two day entrance pass but it does allow earlier/easier access into the show and kit swap and other benefits, meeting up there is easy most of us are usually to be found behind 1 of 3 sig tables all situated next to each other cold war, cbk and revell sigs so make sure the models you bring fit one of those themes
cheers craig
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Fantastic news, I will be there after having to skip this year.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

You will have a fantastic time, David, and the guys and gals will make you feel very welcome!

You'd best look at hotel accommodations now - if you are still able to get a room! You can always cancel later if there's a change of plans.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Hopefully you will be able to make the trip, David and it would be great to meet you. SMW is an excellent show with plenty to see and usually the UAMF hosted SIGs are placed together although this year the Coastal Command SIG was separated. I would, however, echo Paul's advice regarding booking your accommodation - Telford is a town not a large city and available rooms are quickly filled.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

I really ought to get to SMW one year too, and next year will be my target! So, hopefully I'll see you there David and all the other rogues forum members too! :grin:
If you fancy digs for any part of your stay in the Milton Keynes area, drop me a PM
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Guys, that is very helpful, thank you.

I will start planning in earnest.
Maybe if there are enough of us at SMW on the Saturday, we could go out for dinner at Telford or Ironbridge or whatever is convenient and discuss the finer points of rivet-counting and scale colour. I am quite partial to a curry!

Watch this space,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

A few questions:

Parking at Telford? Prohibitive or not? Or park out of town and take public transport in each day?

Many RAF stations have been converted to housing estates since I was last plane-spotting in England (2000). Any recommendations among those that remain active?

Not a question: I must also visit Airfix at Margate!

Cheers,

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

A. Parking at the Exhibition this year was £4.50 per day; for me it was worth it
B. RAF Museum Cosford is a must. They've been getting a lot of the Hendon aircraft lately. Cosford; 15 minutes from Telford
C, Airfix aint in Margate; they're in Sandwich..........well their visitor centre is still in Margate
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

fredk wrote:Airfix aint in Margate; they're in Sandwich..........well their visitor centre is still in Margate
Thanks, Fred,
Parking details noted.
One of my local IPMS buddies is also a keen Airfix fan and has drilled into me that Margate is a must. Is there anything to see at Sandwich?
PaulBradley wrote:You will have a fantastic time, David, and the guys and gals will make you feel very welcome!
What about a reunion, Paul? When was the last time you were there? Maybe SAM Publications will pay for you to sign some books!

Cheers,

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

If you require a batman David, I am only too happy to offer my services :grin:

Nigel
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

skypirate wrote:Guys, that is very helpful, thank you.

I will start planning in earnest.
Maybe if there are enough of us at SMW on the Saturday, we could go out for dinner at Telford or Ironbridge or whatever is convenient and discuss the finer points of rivet-counting and scale colour. I am quite partial to a curry!

Watch this space,

David
We usually meet up on the Saturday night at Wetherspoons
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
chrism

Post by chrism »

And are often in there on the Friday too ... as many of us appreciate their beer prices and range of visiting cask ales
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

skypirate wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:You will have a fantastic time, David, and the guys and gals will make you feel very welcome!
What about a reunion, Paul? When was the last time you were there? Maybe SAM Publications will pay for you to sign some books!

I would love to, but unless I win the lottery, I won't make it next year.

I no longer write for SAM Publications.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Hi David. It would be superb if you could make it over for SMW. I'd recommend the International Hotel on site at Convention Centre at Telford, (there is also a Holiday Inn if you are THAT flush with funds, but I suspect it will already nbe fully booked!). I'm already booked in as are many of the other folk here. One of the reasons is that you can park your car in the hotel car park when you arrive and won't need it again until you go so you effectively get free parking for the whole weekend. It is literally a two minute walk to the centre from the hotel on the same site as I mentioned. What ever you do, seriously, do it now. As has been said, you can always cancel the booking later. Mentioning IPMS will get you a discount at the International as well - assuming you are a member.

We'll probably book somewhere to eat nearer the time as well (but not too much nearer!). The other advantage of the International = no need to drive back to your hotel (like I had to this year) = increase alcohol consumption obligatory. This means you can listen to our erstwhile colleagues talk even more bollocks about modelling and the manufacturers than they already have been all day at the show :twisted: :ha:

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Model Shows and Events”