Southern Expo 2014 - Short report and photos

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Southern Expo 2014 - Short report and photos

Post by Zee28 »

Hi all,

Well it's that time of the year again, mid-March, and it's the Southern Expo. this little show has now become my favourite show of the year.

All proceeds go to St Francis Hospice and it raises approximately £5,000 a year, which is fantastic.

This small show has garnered various nick-names over the years including 'The Mini Telford' and 'The Friendly Show' but the latter has stuck and is now printed on the tickets. And, to be honest, it is very friendly.

The show is held in Hornchurch in Essex so I expect those of you who live in London or the neighbouring home Home Counties probably made the short trip for this nice little event so this thread is probably not relevant to you. But those of you who live further afield may like to see what it was like so I thought I'd do a short report and share a few photos.

The show is a comfortable mix of model displays and trade stands.

The first photo. This is the main hall and it was a hive of activity. General layout (with some exceptions) is traders around the perimeter and model displays from various clubs, forums and SIGs occupy the central area. In terms of traders, all the usual suspects were there; Mr. Models (great for tools and materials), Little Cars, Hannants etc. etc. and for CBK hunters like me there was Collector Kit and Kit Krazy and a few others. This photo was taken standing in front of the Hannants stand and gives a feel for hall.

The standard of modelling on the display tables was, as usual, very high and naturally I took tons of photos but I won't litter the forum with too many, so here's a few choice ones that really caught my eye.

This little 1/72nd gem had a stunning Natural Metal Finish

I just really like this

Fantastic weathering on the farm machinery display table

I really liked the different camo on this Phantom

Superb cockpit detailing here

Ok, let's do some rigging!

This was a remarkable piece of modelling when one considers it's 1/72 and only about as long as my thumb!

And finally this American breakers yard really caught my attention in amongst the diorama displays

Thanks for looking everyone, I hope you enjoyed the show if you went, and if you didn't I hope you enjoyed these photos.

Regards,

Zee28
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Southern Expo 2014 - Short report and photos

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks for the report.

That Anson - is it the 1/72 Aeroclub kit? Nicely done in any case.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

PaulBradley wrote:Thanks for the report.
My pleasure Paul, I thought it was about time I made a useful contribution to the forum rather than my usual run of bad jokes and bad models!
PaulBradley wrote:That Anson - is it the 1/72 Aeroclub kit?
I don't know I'm afraid, I wasn't able to chat with the builder on that one, but it certainly looks like it to me. Seems like a lovely kit.

Zee
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Thanks for that Zee. Some nice photos there. The Anson has very neat cockpit framing.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Model Shows and Events”