Tommy's Swordfish ***FINISHED***

A fast and furious month-long build, to take place during July, 2011. Gentlemen, grab your string bags (either Airfix, Matchbox or FROG in origin). We have a running start.
Each builder is to have a unique build (i.e There will be no two Eugene Esmondes in this GB).
For further information, please PM either JRatz, Brews or PaulBradley.
Tommy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Tommy's Swordfish

Post by Tommy »

Ok, It looks like no one chose to do one from Oran "Operation Catapult", so I am in with one from that - 818 NAS FAA - Aircraft "5G" L7678.

I have kits from Matchbox, FROG, and Airfix. I chose one from among those.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I decided to go with an Airfix kit that I have. Below is a shot of the particular release of the kit and its parts.

The particular aircraft I am modeling will be one from 818 Squadron that was involved in "Operation Catapult" which was the attack on the French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir on July 3, 1940 (as it happens, the anniversary of this action is tomorrow). The attack was a pretty controversial incident and I won't get into it here. You can read about it more on the internet as there is an Wikipedia article covering it.

The only info I have for an aircraft that was involved in Catapult was a Wings Palette profile of an 818 Squadron aircraft "5G" serial number L7678. I'll have to scrounge all the decals for the model from the pile shown below. This Swordfish probably look similar to others in the build that are from the second half of the year 1940.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I have started - cleaned up the fuselage and some of the interior parts yesterday. I'll post some photos later today.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Here is the latest progress...

The parts in the photo are ready to be painted or primed except for the engine/cowling/exhaust which needs to be sanded around the area where the exhaust attaches to the cowling.

Tommy
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Go Tommy!!!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks to Jeff and Bruce, I have incorporated two enhancements to my model:

They include the engine detailing with brass wire that I learned from Jeff's build and the hole drilled in the side of the fuselage where the machine gun will be installed that I picked up from Bruce's build. I still need to scratch build the machine gun itself.

Tommy
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Tommy,

Good to see the pictures. Picking up tips from others is one of the great things about Group Builds like this one. I really enjoy the SKGBs; if you're a slow builder like me, there's always somebody at a more advanced stage of progress to look to for inspiration and ideas!

regards,

Martin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Martin R wrote:Tommy,

Good to see the pictures. Picking up tips from others is one of the great things about Group Builds like this one. I really enjoy the SKGBs; if you're a slow builder like me, there's always somebody at a more advanced stage of progress to look to for inspiration and ideas!

regards,

Martin
Thank you Martin!

Well, later in the day the machine gun was fabricated and installed in the front fuselage area. I think the barrel is a little oversized but this is OK since it allowed me to drill it out.

Then I had a "Crocodile Dundee" moment (where he says "Now that's a knife!") looked at the sorry little part that you get for the rear machine gun in the Airfix kit...and decided to scratch a replacement ("Now that's a machine gun!").

The new rear machine gun is patterned (inspired?) from the Airfix Avro Anson machine gun.
It is made from Contrail Rod Stock, Evergreen Styrene and Brass wire. Like the nose gun the barrel is drilled out. I think my gun is oversize, but I actually want it that way so it really stands out.

Tommy
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Tommy,

That's great! :) I can't wait to see the '50 cal' Vickers gun mounted! Some careful painting, and it will really add an attractive detail to your build.

regards,

Martin
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Excellent work on the gun. Big difference.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks guys!

Not much work done today except that I refined the rear machine gun a little and hopefully the photos are clearer this time.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Been away for a while, but I am back and here's where I am at on the Swordfish:

The model is ready for some more primer on the joints and filler areas. I decided to use the kit torpedo instead of making a magnetic mine from scratch. There just isn't time for it now, and anyways torpedos were used in "Catapult" at various times. I'll be ready to start the painting tomorrow.

In the lower photo you can see where the FROG Swordfish arrestor hook slot has been melded into the Airfix Swordfish.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Brews wrote:Yes, life does get in the way of things. I have to shake a leg on mine, too. You're not far from finishing now, though.
Best of luck to you Brews!

I got these little guys all painted...

Tommy
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looking good Tommy, a little bit of a wash on the crew and they'll look fantastic
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:Looking good Tommy, a little bit of a wash on the crew and they'll look fantastic
Thanks Dirk, I'll give that a try.

Here is the Swordfish today. I have been painting various parts and applied the "Extra Dark Sea Gray" to the aircraft. I used Tamiya XF-18 which is close enough for my eyes. The little crew members have a coat of clear applied so that I can do a wash on them later per Dirk's suggestion. Will do masking tomorrow morning and apply the "Dark Slate Gray".

Tommy

Return to “Classic Swordfish”