Re: Old_Tonto's Polish Spitfire IIb ***Finished***

Rhubarb! The RAF Fighter Command takes the offensive 1941-1944.
Runs 1-30 June.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Old_Tonto's Polish Spitfire IIb ***Finished***

Post by Old_Tonto »

This will be my lunchtime project for the next few weeks. I plan to build a Spitfire IIb of No.306 (Polish) Squadron "TORUNSKI" based at Northolt during August 1941. I have wanted to build a Polish Spitfire since I read 'The Forgotten Few' a couple of years ago.

A quick search of the decal stash found these from a Carpena set:

I had originaly planned to kit bash an Airfix Mk1 with a Mk Vb but there seems to be more to it than that. After a little research it became clear that back-dating a Mk Vb was the easier option. So as my base kit I will be using this:

Plus I invested in this rather nice conversion set from 3D-kits.

Hopefully it should end up looking something like this:

I am not convinced about the grey squadron codes though. This is the only photo that I can find and whilst the codes are darker than the sky fuselage band I suspect that they are locally mixed sky.

As I have the decals I will use them. Looking forward to this build. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Old_Tonto's Polish Spitfire IIb

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I always like it when people are able to find actual photos of their subject. ;-) Very cool

This might be a bit off topic so if you or an admin want me to put this in a separate post I will. All joking aside and as you might expect I don't know a whole lot about Spitfires so please be patient with me. You are not the first person I've seen talk about kit bashing a MkI and a MkVb. What is the ultimate goal and what are the differences between the two aircraft? :???:

I look forward to seeing your build :grin:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Chris

Post by Chris »

Excellent, you have a photo of the real machine, outstanding!

The poles were probaly the most determined of all the RAF fighter pilots to get at the nazis, their courage and determination was legendary during the war.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Dirkpitt289 wrote: I don't know a whole lot about Spitfires so please be patient with me. You are not the first person I've seen talk about kit bashing a MkI and a MkVb. What is the ultimate goal and what are the differences between the two aircraft? :???:
Dirk, the main external difference is the armament. The Vb has a 20mm cannon plus two .303 Mg's in each wing. It is easier to back date a Mk V than to fit cannons and rescribe a Mk I or II wing. The Mk II Spitfire is essentially a late Mk I builst at Castle Bromwich (big new factory), it had a more powerful engine, coffman starter (shotgun starter) - externally a small bulge on the right side of the nose and a Rotol prop which is more rounded & made of wood.

That's the main differences as far as I know and should be enough in this scale, 1/72. Although I am not sure I think there could be a slight difference in the shape of the underwing oil cooler. Can any experts out there confirm this?
Current Projects:
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

The oil cooler intake was more of a d-shape, the cannon bulges of the Mk IIb were much smoother , the ailerons were fabric covered and I think there was something with the sides of the cockpit but I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
Chris

Post by Chris »

You guys sure know your spits, I'm learning new things about them constantly around here.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

3D...........? I'll wear my blue and red glasses reading this thread. :ha:
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

IrishAir wrote:The oil cooler intake was more of a d-shape, the cannon bulges of the Mk IIb were much smoother , the ailerons were fabric covered and I think there was something with the sides of the cockpit but I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, I will have to do a little more research. :roll:
Current Projects:
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

This is one i have been looking at in 1/48th for a while,so your build will be of major interest for me.I was looking at using an Airfix Mk IIa fusalage with an Airfix Mk Vb wing is that workable? as said looking forward with interest my friend. :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

bromo wrote:I was looking at using an Airfix Mk IIa fusalage with an Airfix Mk Vb wing is that workable? as said looking forward with interest my friend. :grin:
I should think that would be fine. You won't be disappointed with the 3D-kits set as the detail is spot on. The control column is a work of art which will be lost in the cockpit once the canopy is on – shame. :sad:
Not much to report on my build yet, just painted the interior whilst still on the sprue. Will take pics as soon as progress is made.
Current Projects:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Old_Tonto wrote:
bromo wrote:I was looking at using an Airfix Mk IIa fusalage with an Airfix Mk Vb wing is that workable? as said looking forward with interest my friend. :grin:
I should think that would be fine. You won't be disappointed with the 3D-kits set as the detail is spot on. The control column is a work of art which will be lost in the cockpit once the canopy is on – shame. :sad:
Not much to report on my build yet, just painted the interior whilst still on the sprue. Will take pics as soon as progress is made.
Second that, the 3D kits moulding is brill. :) Decals look good too.
Up in the Great White North
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

In 1/48th Airfix give you the prop option,plus the coffman starter bulge they dont do the seat or control coloum though so i think that i will be buying the set for those,any one got any pointers as too decals in 1/48th for a Mk IIb this is why i love group builds another mark of Spit i can cross off the list :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

bromo wrote:In 1/48th Airfix give you the prop option,plus the coffman starter bulge they dont do the seat or control coloum though so i think that i will be buying the set for those,any one got any pointers as too decals in 1/48th for a Mk IIb this is why i love group builds another mark of Spit i can cross off the list :grin:

Techmod do a sheet for Polish RAF squadrons:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TM48001;
Up in the Great White North
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Thanks forthat link Andrew very interesting :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Time to get this one started so I begin with the interior which is very well detailed. A pity you can't see much once the fuselage is closed up. :???:
The IP was just painted matt black and dry-brushed with silver.

The sides were painted interior green & black where needed, given a wash and dry-brushed.

Should I have painted the crow bar? :smilie_flagge3:
Current Projects:

Return to “The 'Rhubarb' GB”