John's Westland Whirlwind

Rhubarb! The RAF Fighter Command takes the offensive 1941-1944.
Runs 1-30 June.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

John's Westland Whirlwind

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I picked the Whirlwind as it's one of those kits I distinctly remember from childhood -- it was sometime about 1963 when it was featured in RAF FR and I got a kit sometime around then because of it. I loved the aircraft and was really disappointed to find it had such a limited production run.

The Whirlwind went in service with 263 Sqn in Dec 40, flying interceptions, patrols, and some operations along the enemy coast. Later, in Sep 41, the 2nd squadron, 137 Sqn, received the aircraft, flying fighter sweeps and attacks against ground targets. In these early days, the Whirlwind was a fighter. Around Aug/Sep 42, the aircraft gained bomb carriers and became the 'Whirlibomber', flying attacks, 'Rhubarbs', against ground targets on the continent. 137 Sqn gave up its aircraft in Jul 43 and 263 Sqn theirs in Dec 43.

Here's some references.

Here's some kits.

The Airfix baggie kit is the early issue and has several flaws -- it's here for display, but not as a build option. It is the one I built as a kid back in the early 60's. The boxed Airfix kit is a later re-tool and suffers from a slightly short fuselage and poorly shaped engine nacelles but is an improvement over the early kit. I have the Airwaves PE set for it. And then there is the Pavla kit, with lots of resin and PE -- I haven't even taken it out of the bag in the box.

Next step is to lay both the Airfix & Pavla kits down on some scale drawings, study my interior refs, and make a decision.

While doing that., I need to pick an aircraft to model. It's no secret that I love black/white or black/sky undersides but that scheme may be a stretch for Rhubarbs, so I'll probably go with something later. One scheme that really catches my eye, and comes with the Pavla kit, is that adopted to support the raid on Dieppe in Aug 1942 -- but I'm not sure that could be considered a true 'Rhubarb' mission. :sad:

Whatever doesn't get built here will get the 1940's day fighter scheme in another build ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chris

Re: John's Westland Whirlwind

Post by Chris »

That is sweet, I never built that kit myself, can't wait to see the finished product!
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I find the Whirlwind to be an awkward looking plane and seeing how I've never built any company's Whirlwind so I will also be looking forward to watching this build.

Thanks for being a part of this GB John
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

When I built my Whirlwind I was kind of surprised it was a re-tool as the nacelle fit was so poor, made me wonder how bad the original was.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

My build was of the older kit. Not to worry John, the plastic was thick enough to allow some easy filing for a good fit. Really enjoyed mine. I would be interested to know what the clear lens in the vertical stab was for. Some suggested a landing light, but I doubt it would be above and behind the pilot.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

jssel wrote:My build was of the older kit. Not to wory John, the plastice was thick enought to allow some easy filing for a good fit. Realy enjoyed mine. I would be interested to know what the clear lens in the vertical stab was for. Some suggested a landing light, but I doubt it would be above and behind the pilot.
Best I can tell you is that, on early aircraft, it was a perspec fairing over the aerial insulator. On later a/c, the aerial did not run to that point, but I assume it was retained for a purpose ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, after much agonizing, coin tossing, etc, I have decided to go with the Pavla kit. I'll probably be doing SF-P in green and grays with sky & yellow trim, although the Dieppe Raid colors are sure tempting regardless of their Rhubarbishness ....

This is a Pavla 'High Tech' kit, so you get resin details -- cockit, gear, flaps, bombs & racks, etc. The plastic seems a bit finer than other Pavla kits I've fought through, and I get two vac- canopies, not just the usual one, so there is room for error. Decals look very nice, well in register. These 'High Tech' kits are a cut above the ordinary ones, or maybe it's just lots newer.

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I like that Pavla gives you those extra bits like vacuform canopies and resin parts. I have a Pavla Hs129a that I'm holding off on for just the right time. I look forward to seeing this built
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Some more intro shots ....

Here's a few kit parts laid over scale plans -- looks close enough.

Here's a few detail shots, with some plusses and minuses .... Overall the plastic is thinner than several of my Pavla kits before and there is some interior detail -- you can see an effort at formers and stringers in the nacelles here ....

On the other hand, you can see flash. You can see very heavy attachment points, to the point that many parts neeed to be sawn off rather than snipped to avoid stress damage.

And lastly you can see the world's two largest injector pins in the wings -- they have to be taken down by half at least to get the upper/lower to mate properly.

So, a "High Tech" Pavla kit, but still a Pavla kit :mrgreen: I wil say the resin cockpit is great -- good detail and relief, good paint instructions .... and they've got a proper bomb rack with support rods and all.

Right now, it's all on my bench, with Hu78 Interior Green slathered on appropriately. I have decided to do this one gear down -- some photos show the flaps very slightly dropped on ground, perhaps leakage, and I'll try to emulate that look .... Other than that, I have made no final decisions on colors and markings ....
Karaya
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Karaya »

The Whirlwind was always one of my favourites right from the days when I was still reading Commando comics. Pity the real plane was plagued by so many problems with its Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines or else it would have been a much more widespread fighter.

Can you believe that the first prototypes appeared to have 12 x 0.303 machine guns in the nose as opposed to the more common 4 x 20mm Hispano cannons. I would not have wanted to have been a loader for that configuration. Mind you they also had one with a 37mm cannon in the nose as well. :)
.....Sven W.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Karaya wrote:The Whirlwind was always one of my favourites right from the days when I was still reading Commando comics. Pity the real plane was plagued by so many problems with its Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines or else it would have been a much more widespread fighter.

Can you believe that the first prototypes appeared to have 12 x 0.303 machine guns in the nose as opposed to the more common 4 x 20mm Hispano cannons. I would not have wanted to have been a loader for that configuration. Mind you they also had one with a 37mm cannon in the nose as well. :)
and another with 4x.303 and 4x20mm ...
Chris

Post by Chris »

Lots of firepower on that bird.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

I love the whirlwind and am looking forward to this,is it still available to buy?
BEEN A WHILE
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

bromo wrote:I love the whirlwind and am looking forward to this,is it still available to buy?
I haven't seen the Pavla kit in online stores in a while, much of theirs is truly limited run.
Ebay or hobby shows may be your only recourse for any of these kits.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Thought that may be the case, would you mind letting me know what the kit cost when you bought it so i have a guide line before venturing onto evil bay?
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “The 'Rhubarb' GB”