Carlos' Mosquito raider

Rhubarb! The RAF Fighter Command takes the offensive 1941-1944.
Runs 1-30 June.
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Carlos' Mosquito raider

Post by carlos »

Mosquito NF Mk.II (special) of 23 squadron - summer/autumn 1942

I chose this one mainly because the decals required come with the kit :mrgreen:
Plus I do like a Mossie (doesn't everyone?)

The common/popular (delete as appropriate) Airfix kit that many of us will have built at some point - I know I had at least 2 of these in my youth.
This will be the first time I've done an all-black scheme since coming back to modelling last autumn - so fingers crossed for a nice even finish.

Boxart

Parts

The engine nacelles are removed from the sprue because I read a review at 'smakr' which claimed servere fit-up problems - but on inspection, it appears that despite claiming to be very careful to follow the instructions, the reviewer did make a pretty elementary mistake.
If you fit a port and starboard nacelle halves together, they do appear to fit each other well - but then you get the exact problems the reviewer encountered - namely a huge gap at one side, and cutting/sanding required to make the other side fit.
To be fair to the reviewer though - they are positioned on the sprues in such a way that if you fit the pairs nearest each other together, they do 'look' right - even though you will have fitted a port left-half to a starboard right half - and vice-versa.
(Dunno about the review sample, but all 4 parts in my kit have numbers on the inside AND either a 'P' or 'S')
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/p ... 6-18-m.htm;
I've emailed 'smakr' to point this out - hopefully they'll amend the review, because it does unfairly criticise the kit quite heavily for it.

Anyhoo - I digress...
A little researching and I've found that 23 squadron switched from Havocs to Mosquitos in May 1942
These were NF mk.IIs which had the nose-radar removed, and gun cameras fitted - designated 'NF mk.II (special)' - and operated mostly night-time cross-channel raids, until they were re-deployed to Malta just before Christmas '42

I won't be doing much in the way of extras - I'll try to fill the cockpit a bit, got a few references, but the biggest help will probably be a 1/48 Revell Mossie 'B' I built a few months ago, (need to check if there's any major differences between the offices of a 'B' and 'NF' though)
Obviously the kit's radar needs to be left out, and I'll have to see if I can find photo to show what can be seen of that gun-cam.

edited to add:
Gun-cam sorted - the kit has the 'hole' in the nose, just need to add a kinda funnel shape, and lens behind the surface.

Looking forward to this - Need something to kep me occupied until June - LOL
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Chris

Re: Carlos' Mosquito raider

Post by Chris »

Great choice Carlos!

I built that kit years ago and I don't recall any fit problem with the engines at all.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Thanks Chris
Chris wrote:I built that kit years ago and I don't recall any fit problem with the engines at all.
Yeah me too - the review did worry me though - so I did a dry fit - and all is well.
Definitely a mistake by the reviewer.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Carlos

We had a group build on the old forum for this kit. Take a look and see if you find anything that might help you. I seem to remember several of us mentioning the engines.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewforum. ... 5d7c86d30c
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
carlos

Post by carlos »

Wow! - Thanks Dirk :wanw

Absolutely TONS of reference and inspiration there :partytime:

Glad to help. 8-)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Carlos

If you look at my Mosquito build (page 2) you will learn how to NOT build the engines. I assembled the engine nacelles and they looked great until I tried to attach them to the wings. You see I attached the wrong half's together. For them to fit right they need to look wrong in your hand.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
carlos

Post by carlos »

That's exactly what the reviewer did at the link I posted above.

Except he didn't notice the mistake - ended up filling one, performing major surgery on the other, then blaming the kit :roll:
Rogear
starter kit

Post by Rogear »

Hi Carlo,

I've made quite a protracted study of the Mossie over the years, and if you are doing the 23 Sqn intruders then the rear shelf is empty, as all the associated radar gear was there. Never put the radios there as NFII's were fitted with VHF radios only which were fitted in the fuselage space just behind the wing, with only a couple of remote control boxes by the pilots left knee.

People often (incorrectly) fit the HF radios on the rear shelf, these are a part of the bomber radio fit and the only "fighter" with these fitted is he FBVI and even then there are differences.

Hope this helps, and crackin' choice of build.

Bob
carlos

Post by carlos »

Thanks Bob.
Are we also talking about the unit directly behind the pilot's seat? - Or just the gear actually on the rear shelf?
Rogear
starter kit

Post by Rogear »

Sorry, Yes that includes the unit behind the pilot's seat. The units that every manufacturer supplies are the T1154 (transmitter) and R1155 (reciever). As I said these are anly relevant to the bomber and PR aircraft (and even then probably not post war). The transmitter sat behind the pilot and the reciever on the rear shelf.

The FBVI had these fitted to the first 16 aircraft, then they only had the R1155 fitted to the rear shelf.

Other equipment often fitted were the GEE units. The indicator unit was fitted behind the pilot in a mounting that angled it upwards at around 45 degrees, and the reciever units etc.. sat on the rear shelf (wherever there was space if other kit was also carried, such as airborne radar)

As your chosen aircraft weren't fitted with this then the rear shelf would be bare.

If I can help with anything else just let me know.

Bob
Chris

Post by Chris »

Always room for more builders bob, why not grab a kit and join us?
Rogear
starter kit

Post by Rogear »

Would love too, but I've got 100+ Normans to paint for a client. I have now collected all the kits I need for my 607 Squadron odyssey, and have decided to do no more wargames figures commissions once this one is finished, so hopefuly by the summer I'll be doing my own stuff, be prepared for Avro 504's, wapiti's, Demons, Hurricanes, Gladiators, Spits and Vampires.

Bob
Chris

Post by Chris »

Maybe next time!

Back to carlos's mossie!
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Any progress Carlos? i love mossies and look forward to this build :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
carlos

Post by carlos »

bromo wrote:Any progress Carlos? i love mossies and look forward to this build :grin:
Not just yet - got sidetracked making a baseboard for model photos.
Hoping to fnish that tonight, and get started on the mossie tomorrow.

Return to “The 'Rhubarb' GB”