AndrewR's Eagle Sqn Spit: Apple Pie and Rhubarb **Finished**

Rhubarb! The RAF Fighter Command takes the offensive 1941-1944.
Runs 1-30 June.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

AndrewR's Eagle Sqn Spit: Apple Pie and Rhubarb **Finished**

Post by AndrewR »

A Tamiya Spitfire I in 1/72, upgraded to IIa using the 3D-kits conversion set. Finished as the aircraft of P/O William Dunn, 71 Sqn RAF.

Bill Dunn was the first American to become an Ace flying with the RAF's Eagle Squadrons. Jolly Good Show and all that :)

He transferred to the USAAF in 1943, and ended his 378 combat missions in Vietnam in 1967, where he flew 62 missions. Lt. Col. Dunn retired from the U.S.A.F. in 1973. A brave man.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Chris

Re: AndrewR's Eagle Sqn. Spit: Apple Pie and Rhubarb

Post by Chris »

Very cool Andrew, always like those eagle squadron boys!
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Sounds good Andrew. I read Bill's book 'Fighter Pilot' a couple of years back. He had an interesting life rounding up Mustangs (the four legged variety :grin: ) & touring the rodeo circuit before learning to fly. He failed to get into the RAF as they were not recruiting in the neutral USA so he joined the Canadian army. He claimed two Stuka’s shot down with a Lewis gun whilst acting as an AA gunner with the Seaforth Highlanders. Then he transferred to the RAF and the rest is history.

Post war he flew in China in support of the Nationalists, flying Mustangs & Thunderbolts. After a time training the Brazilian Air Force he was posted to the Shah of Iran’s Air Force – Apparently he was the only US Air Force pilot with experience on Hurricanes & Thunderbolts!

I have considered building a collection of planes he flew but details are a bit thin on the ground.
Looking forward to this one though, the 3D-kits set is really nice isn’t it?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Old_Tonto wrote:Sounds good Andrew. I read Bill's book 'Fighter Pilot' a couple of years back. He had an interesting life rounding up Mustangs (the four legged variety :grin: ) & touring the rodeo circuit before learning to fly. He failed to get into the RAF as they were not recruiting in the neutral USA so he joined the Canadian army. He claimed two Stuka’s shot down with a Lewis gun whilst acting as an AA gunner with the Seaforth Highlanders. Then he transferred to the RAF and the rest is history.

Post war he flew in China in support of the Nationalists, flying Mustangs & Thunderbolts. After a time training the Brazilian Air Force he was posted to the Shah of Iran’s Air Force – Apparently he was the only US Air Force pilot with experience on Hurricanes & Thunderbolts!

I have considered building a collection of planes he flew but details are a bit thin on the ground.
Looking forward to this one though, the 3D-kits set is really nice isn’t it?
Here's a review, so the rest of you can see what OT and I are using:

http://www.drewemanton.com/index/3d_spit.html;

Yes, he certainly had a colourful career, but a surprisingly low profile. The 3D conversion set is amazingly good value for money. I got the two plane conversion pack with decals.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Chris wrote:Very cool Andrew, always like those eagle squadron boys!
When we :smilie_flagge3: needed help, they were there.

:beer:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The upgrades to go from a Mk I to the Mk IIa, are pretty easy. The main difference is the Rotol propellor and spinner and two little bulges under the exhausts for the Coffman Starters. The armament was the same as the Mk I, eight Browning 0.303 machine guns, so the wing remains the same. The 3D kits set has everything, including adapter parts for the Rotol prop to mount in the Tamiya kit (it also has adapter parts for the new tool Airfix Spitfire I kit).
Chris

Post by Chris »

AndrewR wrote:
Chris wrote:Very cool Andrew, always like those eagle squadron boys!
When we :smilie_flagge3: needed help, they were there.

:beer:
Let's hope that never changes. :party
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I've opened the box of the Tamiya kit, because I needed to get the prop out. It's going to be used on my Airfix Hurricane IIc, because it has the right diameter (if not the correct blades!!). It will be replaced by the Rotol prop in the 3D-kit conversion set.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Here are the bits that I'll be using for this build:

The basic Tamiya Spitfire kit:

The contents. The prop has already been removed for my Hurricane project. Nice fine detail, and good interior detailing for 1/72.

Hobbydecal dry-rub Spitfire stencil markings. Just in case I get the urge to put these on. I'm not sure they add to the general effect in 1/72, even though they might be authentic.

The 3D-kits decals and painting instructions. Nicely done in full colour. I'll be doing the aircraft in the top right in DG/DE/Sky.

Here's the plastic part of the 3D-kit set

You get a Rotol Prop and Spinner, adapter pieces for the Tamiya and Airfix kits, two Coffmann starter blisters, a nicely done replacement seat and a new joystick, which has some very fine detail on it. A very high quality moulding.

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

An unexpectedly early start to the build, as Graham was off school this afternoon with a sore throat and cold (on the hottest day of the year :sad: ). I wasn't able to hide in the basement, so I cleaned up a few bits of the Tamiya kit.

No painting in this bit of the construction. Oxygen bottles added, as well as the ferrule for the prop shaft. There's supposed to be a plastic end cap, but no sign in the box. Fortunately, I'm not bothered about a working prop.

Wings and basic cockpit framing assembled.

I'll be using the 3D-kits upgrade seat and control column. The seat in the kit looks way too wide. I did manage to slap a bit of paint on the seat (dark brown red for the "plastic" seat), but I haven't painted the leather padding on it yet. I did manage to get a coat of black on the prop, and black/interior green on the control column. The fine detail on the column needs drybrushing before installation in the cockpit assembly. The seat is not in this picture, it's still down in the basement.

Here's the starboard side of the fuselage, with the Coffman starter blister added. They supply two on the sprue, one is a spare. The first one "pinged" itself into oblivion... :roll:

Just for fun, I did a dry fit assembly.

A pretty good fit, although I think the rear wing roots/underside junction might need a little smidgen of filler ( 1 smidgen = 2 dabs). It's a pity the shape of the wings is wrong :shock:

Not bad for two hours work. 8-)

cheers

Andrew
Chris

Post by Chris »

Off to a great start!

Its 87 here in NY, hottest day by far this year.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I agree with Chris you're off to a really great start.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MackemPete
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by MackemPete »

I'm also going for the fixed prop Andrew, I think deep down it's to save me snapping it off at the 1st bit of hamfistedness! I'm already worried about my m/g's!!!
Looking good
Cheers
Pete
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Chris wrote:Off to a great start!

37C here today, that's 98.6F for you folks still using old-fashioned units... :)

An unexpectedly fast start, things can only slow down :ha:
Chris

Post by Chris »

AndrewR wrote:
Chris wrote:Off to a great start!

37C here today, that's 98.6F for you folks still using old-fashioned units... :)

An unexpectedly fast start, things can only slow down :ha:
We have aversion to using FRENCH measurements! :razz:

Return to “The 'Rhubarb' GB”