Revell 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader "The Last Gunfighter"

Any subject, air, land, or sea, that operated over, in, around Vietnam during the 1st or 2nd Indochina Wars -- 1946-1975. Starts 1 June, ends 31 July.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Revell 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader "The Last Gunfighter"

Post by beany »

I'm a bit late to the party I know but this has just turned up on the doorstep and I remembered this GB was in progress, so here goes. It is a bit of a mojo regainer as I haven't put knife to plastic since the run up to the Huddersfield show back in February, so this will be a quick easy build, no aftermarket, no etch or metal parts etc., although I may scratchbuild a little cockpit detail as it looks a bit bare.

The Aircraft: Vought F8 Crusader

A replacement for the Vought F-7 Cutlass and competitor for the McDonnell F-3H Demon, Grumman F-11 Tiger and the North American F-100 Super Sabre

Prototype flew 25th March 1955 (and went supersonic on maiden flight) and was the last American fighter with guns as the primary weapon, but also able to carry four side mounted missiles and under wing pylons for bombs.

Introduced March 1957

Total built 1219

Built for the US Navy, US Marine Corps, and 49 for the French Navy. Also operated by the Philippines Air Force.

Engine – J57 Speed: Mach 1.2

Armament 4x 20mm MK-12 Colt cannon, 4x AIM-9B Sidewinders and either 12x 125kg bombs or 4x 250kg bombs. Other possibilities 2x AGM-12 Bullpup or 24 x Zuni rockets

The kit: Revell 1/48 F-8E Crusader (No.04547)

Parts:133 (of which 26 are indicated as not for use – the bombs and pylons)

Lightly raised panel and rivet details which I shall leave as this is to be a quick build of a relatively inexpensive kit.

Copyright @2000 printed on both the instruction sheet and the decals, but I believe this was originally from Monogram moulds.

Decals supplied for either F-8E US Navy VF-194 “Ticonderoga” 1966, or French Navy F8E(FN) 12 Flottille “Clemenceau” 1987

Right, let's go and find a knife then...

Cheers
Al
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Revell 1/48 Vought F-8E Crusader "The Last Gunfighter"

Post by Old_Tonto »

Great choice - a real fighter. I have an urge to do a Mig-19 now. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Great choice. I like the Crusader a lot. As a matter of fact I stumbled upon one a few weeks ago in Florida.

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Go for it, Al...the Navy was there too!

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Bearcat to Tomcat -- the Vietnam GB”