Shaun's Big Boeing

Aircraft with Four or More engines.
Runs: February 1st 2012 - March 18th 2012
GB Leaders: bromo, SJPONeill
MerlinJones

Re: Shaun's Big Boeing

Post by MerlinJones »

Actually, on reflection, I don't believe a 747 would make whooshy noises.

More like a Thruummmmmmmmm noise.

Regards,
Bruce
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

MerlinJones wrote:Actually, on reflection, I don't believe a 747 would make whooshy noises.

More like a Thruummmmmmmmm noise.

Regards,
Bruce

It makes a massive roar like someone clearing their throat amplified 100 times. And it shakes about quite a bit as well, which is a bit of a nuisance when you're on board trying to refit the interior. :frown:

Kudos on the massive effort with this build Shaun. I think you've done well to get as far as you did considering the amount of work involved to get a good model from this kit. Just remember the old saying "You can't rush perfection". :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thank you once again for your kind comments gents. The only time I've been on a 747 was with Air Canada a few years ago and there was a fair amount of noise, shake, rattle and roll as she went down the runway, it certainly did not woosh! :grin:

I've really enjoyed this GB and even though I failed to cross the finishing line I won't let that put me off future attempts. It would have been nice to have presented a finished model on time but I didn't want to rush it and there were too many rough edges in the kit for my liking to build it strictly OOB. But that's older kits for you and in a strange almost masochistic way I like the challenges that these old stagers throw at you.

Anyway, here's my parting shot for the GB

This afternoon, I added the flap track/hinge thingies to the wings (required a bit of filler, of course!) and built up the tailplanes. Thus all the major sub-assemblies are now finished and during the week I hope to find some time to carry out final tweeks and sanding. Then it will be a paintathon and hopefully not too long thereafter bringing the whole lot together.

Thanks to all of you who've followed this build and I must admit I am very surprised by the amount of hits the thread has had, as at the start I didn't think an airliner would attract such interest. It could, of course, be down to my magnetic personality and fantastic modelling skills :ha:

For anyone interested in seeing this through, the build will now continue on my workbench window thread.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Will be following with interest...good effort getting this far and you've certainly taught a few dogs some new tricks with this build...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks Simon and I hope the old dog doesn't end up tricking me and submits to a nice stress free finish! Somehow I don't think it will just submit that easily :grin:

IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Nice parting shot Shaun. I look forward to seeing the finished article.

More effort, more aluminium and more aircrew went into the Liberator than into any other flying machine ever built.

A:B
2012 03:01 2009 19:16
2011 11:10 2008 16:03
2010 44:12

Overall 176:47
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks Narayan, I'll keep plugging away. I see that the GB has been extended until Friday and with a bit of luck there'll be more finishers. Not me however, even if I took the week off I don't think I'd finish her.

IPMS#12300
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Totally agree with Simon's comments, especially the sprue stretching episode :wanw Look forward to it's completion.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4

Return to “Four or More Engines GB”