Simon's Stinger

Aircraft with Four or More engines.
Runs: February 1st 2012 - March 18th 2012
GB Leaders: bromo, SJPONeill
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's Stinger

Post by SJPONeill »

Having never actually finished a GB, I think I might as well overstress myself and toss a second build into the mix...it looks quite simple and I have been dying to build it...the Dujin N-20 Aiguillon (Stinger) in 1/72 resin...

Main parts: wing and fuselage halves - I have since sanded off the resin pouring residue but have yet to give these a good wash to remove any mold release - they feel just a bit slimy...yuk

Smaller parts are supplied in a thin resin wafer - the quantity looks a bit daunting but after pouring over the instructions and Youtube video I've come to the conclusion that a number of the smaller parts are spares...also not one but THREE spare vacform canopies...

Instructions leave a bit to be desired comprising this three view and some poor quality photocopies detail pics that are also illegible...

Colours are quite simple...black for the cockpit and shades of silver for everything else...

The lightning flash along the nose doesn't appear in all pics I have found of the original so, in the absence of a decal sheet, I think I might give this a miss and stress more about scratch-painting the (relatively simple) Swiss roundels...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Re: Simon's Stinger

Post by SJPONeill »

To put the size of this model in perspective, its span will probably be about the same as James' 1/200 Vulcan...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

You always have to take the easy option don´t you?
running at the edge of their world
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Yep, that's me...if there's a path of least resistance, I'll find it... :oops: :-D :-D
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Looks interesting. I can't remember seeing one of these before.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:4 B:4 C:13
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'd only heard of it, and thus recognised it when I saw it at the Telford Kit Swap, because I'd bought a large lot of RAF Flying Review magazines from the 50s and 60s and this was an aircraft featured in the write-in Facts By Request section.

The first N-20 was the Arbalete which had four engines as well but one-one-one (like the Lightning) on each wing; this flew successfully but it was decided that indigenous engine development was going to take too long so the Aiguillon was the next in the series with two side-by-side engines in each wings. Each engine was a single version of the Double Mamba that powered the Fairey Gannet. The Aiguillon did some high-speed taxing test but by this point that Swiss had come to the conclusion that any indigenous design would have too much built-in obsolescence and that the only real solution was to opt for a foreign fighter which took them down the Vampire/Hunter path...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Preparation of parts was ongoing last night; mainly separating the smaller parts from the resin wafer they came in...more tedious than difficult and with the 'wet sanding is OK inside' policy now implemented, not a bad task for in front of TV catching up on movies, Aliens and Dirty Dancing in this case...

Also started to have a look for potential assembly issues....hmmm...the nicely molded engine fans simply do not fit inside the wing and probably wouldn't even if I excavated the interior of the intakes. As the intakes are quite narrow, I have taken the easy option and just shaved a mil and a bit off the upper and lower edges of each fan - forgot to take a pic of the solution parts but you'll see them as I put the wing together...

bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Nice too see you taking the easy route Simon,as i thought would happen :grin:
BEEN A WHILE
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Yeah, typical, eh?

As covered in my Kastor build, the rare appearance of the sun today distracted me from the modelling path of truth and light...but I did get to decide on Humbrol Silver Fox as the overall colour, with Citadel Mithril silver for gear legs etc; I'm tossing up whether to use Citadel Boltgun Metal for the heated metal around the jet pipes and for the engines fans just visible through the intakes...

Off tomorrow to spend a couple of nights on-base and although I always take some modelling stuff with me, I rarely get an opportunity to do anything, so will aim to get some initial paint to plastic (resin) done on Friday night - working Saturday, then off to Hamilton to preposition for the Cambridge Market on Sunday...She has some cocktail function thing on Saturday night to which I am not invited (oh, the disappointment!!) so might get some minor work done then...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

SJPONeill wrote:To put the size of this model in perspective, its span will probably be about the same as James' 1/200 Vulcan...
:lol:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

As with the Kastor, I brush painted Humbrol Silver Fox on the insides of the gear bays and engine intakes so I could get ready to close these parts up - forgot to a. also do the engine fans and b. how long enamels take to dry. This weekend I hope to join some resin...

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent and a type I've never heard of. Two builds?!? - you take the pressure Simon so the rest of us don't have to :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

No progress in the last week due to work and descent of grandtwins for the weekend - have them diverted in front of Disney's Home on the Range (the 'cow' movie) so am sneaking out to the garage to paint the engine fans so I can join the wing halves tonight...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Last night painted the engine fans x 4 Citadel Boltgun Metal - first time that I have used this paint and it is awesome straight out of the bottle: good, consistent coverage and simple clean up in water - still experimenting to find a mix that will go through the airbrush though...

Also painted the jet exhausts the same colour and blacked the cockpit area and instrument panel...

Had one minor panic attack with the engine fans before printing...had found one of them on the floor last weekend and put it away in one of those places "I'll remember where that is"...a week, you know it...no idea. Had to ferret around for an hour before finally finding it in one of the compartments of my modelling tool box...

Should be joining the wing halves today...
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Looking forward to seeing this come together, a nice easy build so far then :lol:
BEEN A WHILE

Return to “Four or More Engines GB”