Motley's Roden PKZ-2

Post by jssel »

For when you decide.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Motley
Active Participant

Re: Motley's build to go here

Post by Motley »

My build finally arrived today :-D Was rather surprised to see it in the pile of post, very fast delievery its had from Poland :) Anyways ive decided to through myself in with what could be by the looks of it, the most diffcult build ive ever tried. The model ill be building is the Roden PKZ-2, the worlds first helicopter and the only one used during WW1. Heres the box art, and as you can see its a weird looking thing, but thats what made me want to build it :ha:

Very few construction steps to follow, but the parts look like they could be very easy to break :shock:

And finally the all important sprue shot, as you can see its going to a small model but looking at the sprue its nicely detailed for the size of it,

If i have time i might start this later but just hope i can do a good job of it and think its going to be a mircle if i dont break any of the parts :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Motley
Active Participant

Re: Motley's Roden PKZ-2

Post by Motley »

Finally started today on the model, so far ive glued all the bits together that come in 2 parts, ive also painted up the engines and a few of the bits in the photo, ive also tried abit of a experiment to get one of the props to have a woody effect. From now on all there is to do is painting and glueing the structure together, hopefully wont take long to build :)

"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

It never made it into service as the Germans believed that it was too dangerous. Good move!

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
Molly-new
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Molly-new »

Very unusual, good luck with removing those thin parts from the sprue.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
TimJ
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TimJ »

The parts do look delicate, I look forward to seeing it come together.
DH-Drover wrote:It never made it into service as the Germans believed that it was too dangerous.
I'm not surprised. I wouldn't fancy having to make an emergency exit with the rotor blades beneath me. :shock:
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

DH-Drover wrote:It never made it into service as the Germans believed that it was too dangerous. Good move!

Dai
It does look very dangerous and looking at my model think it could be quite flimsy to, must of been fun to fly in :lol:
TimJ wrote:I'm not surprised. I wouldn't fancy having to make an emergency exit with the rotor blades beneath me. :shock:
Never thought of that, would have made for an interesting time if you had to get out fast.

Been tinkering with this tonight doing some very delicate work, ive managed to paint the other prop so now both are done, and ive managed to put the 3 stabilisers together which was interesting as the parts are so thin but with abit of care they are all together and look good. Hopefully ill be able to get abit more done in the next few days, want to get it done before i start college again on Monday :)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Looks simple enough until you realize the size in 1/72.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Now that's cool and unusual. I like it.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

jssel wrote:Looks simple enough until you realize the size in 1/72.
Thats kind of what i thought, thought it was going to be a simple build till i had the actual parts in my hands, got to be so carful building it

Quick update, the stabilisers i put together last night and now painted up the base part has been painted had a few parts attached to it and stuck the engines all toghether. Slowly getting there, just got to take my time with it so i dont end up breaking any part.

Once its done i just need to find a piece of wood for it as the stand that comes with it looks rubbish, i think it would look alot better with a wooden base, just got to find one :)
smethwick
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by smethwick »

Very unusual ..i like it...a lot..good luck
An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
Elbert Hubbard
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Im afraid i dont see myself finishing this one in time :sad: , my will to model has been abit lagging recently and ive been busy with college and being away and turning 18, i want to do a a good job of this so i dont want to rush it so it looks like i wont get it done it time, ive enjoyed this build so far and watching the other builds going along and i have to say a bigg thank you jssel for being the leader of this GB just a shame im not going to reach the finish line :sad:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Just a nudge here, Motley. I added a couple of more days on the deadline as so many are so close. But I do understand your situation. And cheers for the kind words.

Return to “Whirli-Birds GB”