Post by jssel »

To go here.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: SJPONeill's 1/72 Anigrand X-22

Post by SJPONeill »

Hi...anyone home...?

I thought that I had taken the 'as it falls from the box' pic already but mustn't've as it wasn't on the camera card tonight...I got bored between dinner and our monthly Scale Models Wellington meeting on Wednesday night and so started on assembly...never mind as the only bits I got together on Wednesday night were the three major fuselage components" left and right fuselage halves and the nose...

Fit not stellar so last night I filled the seams with CA and rasped it smooth. The resin is very soft and I fear I may have been a little too keen with the result that the fuselage top may now be a little flat...will see how it looks when I add the tail but I may need to lay a sheet of plastic over the top to get a more rounded roof...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Oh a cool beastie this. Much cockpit detail in it?

Strange configuration of the tilt fans, was that the pirouette mode :ha:

Cheers
Jim
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Hi Jim

A couple of generic seats and an instrument panel and that's about it - Anigrand aren't known for putting lots of effort into interior detail...re the pirouette, I am tempted to build it in that configuration to show the different positions of the nacelles...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

It certainly falls from the box in orderly fashion. :ha: What a beastie. Will be watching this one.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Jagewa wrote:Strange configuration of the tilt fans, was that the pirouette mode :ha:
I think in that configuration it would be a pirouette and roll Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

This is a strange beast , I’m looking forward to seeing it being built.

How big is it?

Regards
Splash
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

splash wrote: This is a strange beast , I’m looking forward to seeing it being built.

How big is it?
On the mighty 40cm rule, it's 145mm long - that's for the assembled fuselage piece in the pic above; and each of the fans is 30mm across...so a nice enough size - any bigger and one would probably feel twinges of MAS to start fleshing out the absent detail...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

SJPONeill wrote:re the pirouette, I am tempted to build it in that configuration to show the different positions of the nacelles...

Simon
Tight holes and 'brass' rod, to make a 'working feature'?

Most such exercises refer to 'brass' rod...but I've used plastic rod and/or thick copper wire to effect.
Another tip would be to have your hole and wire ever-so slightly mis-aligned. This creates some friction and will help hold things in place.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Great minds...I have just being plotting that now...between bouts of filling endless holes (more pot than pin) in the castings...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Fools seldom differ! ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I am starting to think that this model is a real pig - although in fairness it must be one of Anigrand's earlier castings but the A-12 I bought at the same time is flawless - the pieces are chockful of holes and where parts have been separated from the pouring stubs (at the factory end), it is not clear where the actual part starts - the resin is very soft so even with fine abrasives it is easy to take off too much...

Most of last night (The Voice + 2 movies) was spent filling and sanding holes - the CA reserves have taken a real hit - a reshaping a couple of parts that are deformed and/or broken.

I attached the tail last night and it took most of Catwoman to get a smooth join between this and the rest of the fuselage...the engine 'mounts' are wider than the engines and there are NO attachment guides other than the three-view in the instructions. In the end I CA'd one side and sprayed accelerator on the other and slammed them together: instant join and now all I have to do is blend the engines into the mounts...tonight I will brave up and do the other side...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Hmmm...just looking at that pic, with the rudder and starboard engines still to go aft of the main gear, I'm wondering if I should have perhaps maybe tossed some weight in behind the cockpit? I can always drill in from below (who's going to notice any extra filler?) and slip in some Araldite-dunked shot but Anigrand have never bought into this idea of wire-reinforced landing gear so need to be careful here...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Anigrand make so many intriguing subjects but the price of pain is too high for me. Anyway I glad some else is willing to take on these kits as it's great to see something like this getting built.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Way to keep wrestling this one. Very cool.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

JamesPerrin wrote:Anigrand make so many intriguing subjects but the price of pain is too high for me.
Know what you mean - the quality seems to vary from kit to kit but unfortunately there aren't many options to view what's in any given box before you buy...the A-12 that I have has great castings but I couldn't guarantee that the whole run is that good...QA is an area where Anigrand needs to tighten up - also it's reliance on resin gear legs...

Return to “Whirli-Birds GB”