Carlos Revell 1/48 UH-1 Huey

Post by jssel »

The mighty Huey to go here.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Carlos Revell 1/48 UH-1 Huey

Post by carlos »

Time I added something here methinks....

I've not started yet - probably won't start for a few days yet, as I'm finishing a Helldiver for the Anti-Shipping GB, only got a few days left for that, and really need to get cracking.

Anyhoo - In preparation - the obligatory box-art and sprue-shots.

The kit cost £8 from my LMS ('Windsock Models' - an independent - tucked away above a sports shop in Bishop Auckland)

Instructions are a 12-page booklet, the usual Revell style with a write-up on the front, a few pages of general techniques and symbol-key, in various languages. Paint-colour guide, and a parts checksheet.
Then 4½ pages of assembly instructions, all pretty logical and clear - and two full-page colour-scheme guides.

Decals look to be nicely in register, and include instrument panels.
The two version choices are a UH-1E of the US Marine Corps, HMLA-267, 1965 - or a UH-1C gunship of the US Army, 13th combat aviation battalion, stationed in South Vietnam, 1967
I'll be building the US Army gunship - The Marines version is more colourful, but the Huey is so synonimous with the Vietnam conflict, I want to build one which served there.

4 sprues of dark green/olive - plus the transparencies, which I've left in their bag to avoid scratching.

In that pic, you can see one half of the tail is a bit warped - Since taking the pic, I've done a dry-fit, and with just sticky-tape it pulls together straight - fairly easily.
I can forsee a bit of a fight with that, and the roof of the cockpit - but nothing too bad (I hope)
Parts in general look quite crisp - but there is plenty of flash to deal with - not thick or prominent, but EVERYWHERE....
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Just a personal note that the Army bird is in the markings of the gun unit of the 121st Assault Helicopter Company, AKA the Soc Trang Tigers. The gun unit was called the Vikings and the Lift unit was called the Tigers. My old unit from 1970. I did not know that those marking came in that release. Joy Joy Joy.

The only problem you should worry about is mounting the roof piece. The rear seam is a bugger. Oh. Mash down some fishing sinkers flat to lay under the floor boards. It's a tail sitter.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Thanks for the tips/warnings Jeff - That roof did seem like it might be quite awkward when I tried a dry-fit.
And no mention of weights in the instructions - the two crew members have hollow backs, maybe I could also pack those out with lead-shot....

That's pretty cool that the markings match your old unit.
The exact wording on the instruction sheet does give more details than I wrote above.
It says..
Bell UH-1C Huey, 'Vikings' Armed (gunship) Platoon, 121st Assault helicopter Company, 13th combat Aviation battalion, US Army, Soc Trang base, South Vietnam, 1967
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

carlos wrote:the two crew members have hollow backs, maybe I could also pack those out with lead-shot
As an ex-helicopter aircrewman the thought of lead shot in the back of the crewman makes me cringe, I would rather you said I’m using the crewman as ballast, it’s still insulting but a lot less cruel. :ha: :ha: :ha:

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
carlos

Post by carlos »

splash wrote:As an ex-helicopter aircrewman the thought of lead shot in the back of the crewman makes me cringe, I would rather you said I’m using the crewman as ballast, it’s still insulting but a lot less cruel. :ha: :ha: :ha:

Regards
Splash
LOL - I never thought about the wording - sorry 'bout that. :ha:

Just think - if they'd been solid, I might've decided to drill them out and shove lead shot up their rear-ends :shock:
jssel

Post by jssel »

I posted my "slick" in the pre-GB gallery.
carlos

Post by carlos »

jssel wrote:I posted my "slick" in the pre-GB gallery.
Oooh! - That's very nice - hope I can do the Vikings' Hog justice.

Your tinted upper windows look very good compared to some I've seen - how did you get the effect?
Is it a clear-green colour painted on the inside?
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice looking kit Carlos. I was looking this kit over last night at my LHS. I think I would have bought it had it been in 1/72 scale. I look forward to seeing yours built.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
jssel

Post by jssel »

I used Tamiya clear green applied on the inside. A wide brush so only one coat was needed.
WheresMyMojo
Getting well comfy!

Post by WheresMyMojo »

Does this come with the ammunition belts as seen in the artwork? That would really add to the image.
Graham

The...errr...modeler...formerly known as 'chuffchuff'
carlos

Post by carlos »

WheresMyMojo wrote:Does this come with the ammunition belts as seen in the artwork? That would really add to the image.
Yup! :grin:
If you look at the parts photo, they're on the far right sprue, right at the top of it - those two curly pieces.
carlos

Post by carlos »

It might look like I've left this one a bit too late, but I have the whole of this next week to myself - and have got cracking with it today.

Painted and assenbled the interior this morning - and have just joined the fuselage halves together.
Had a big fight with it, due to one half being quite badly warped - but it's been under some books for a week, to minimise the warpage, and looks to have (eventually) pulled together nice and straight after a LOT of persuasion and patience.
Currently waiting for this lot to dry - and am expecting a fair bit of filling and sanding tonight/tomorrow.

I've been warned about the fit of the cockpit roof - after a dry fitting, it does look like it'll need attention, but nothing on the scale of the rest of the fuselage.

Planning to get on with some sub-assemblies while waiting for that lot to set.

Oh - and I also filled the narrow gap under the floor with flattened fishing sinker weights - hopefully that'll be enough, but I can also weight the crew members if neccesary.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Looking very smart like a good Viking should.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Sorry everyone - I have to declare a DNF :cry:

There's absolutely no way I can finish now - I did think this weekend I'd have my workspace back, but the family member who's been using (unexpectedly) my den (our spare bedroom) will be here a while longer, and I just don't have the workspace.

When I get the time/space to finish, though, I'll be sure to add progress on my workbench thread.

Return to “Whirli-Birds GB”