Simon's Bromry-Eyevan DT-2

Runs: August 22nd to September 18th
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Simon's Bromry-Eyevan DT-2

Post by SJPONeill »

From one of those wonderful Japanese robot anime...

Acquired for not very much on Trademe many years ago....When I signed up for this thread I didn't fully get MJ's reference to the Stratos TSR2 til I picked a copy of the July 11 Airfix Modelworld with Richard Mean's great scratchbuild of the TSR2MS launch vehicle...really it is worth buying that issue just for this article...

Thus inspired I will eventually grace this vehicle as a similar style of launch vehicle because I haven't got any of the giant robot bits that it is meant to carry - however that will have to wait til after the GB as what I plan on mounting as the launchee is very much a product of my imagination and not recognised (by anyone!!) science fiction...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Re: Simon's Bromry-Eyevan DT-2

Post by SJPONeill »

Off to a bit of a slow start here...

Here's what's in the box:

...the rather clever steering system to ensure that all the front wheels point the same way

...and the first part of the tractor unit assembled...not sure what happened with the light here, it looks like sun shadows but is actually inside at night...must just be the brilliance of my personality shinging through...?

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

How big is that?
I know it's 1/72 and I was wondering of the overall size. That's quite a large cabin and viewable area and I also notice 3 figures.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

On the road for a couple of days and have to DT-2 with me for show and tell at the Scale Modsels Wellington meeting tomorrow night (so far no one at work has clicked to the real reason I have a staff visit to Wellington the last Wednesday of each month) but don't have any measuring tools nor any way to import a picture with a known object for size comparison but total length (tractor and trailer) is probably around 30cm..will meaure up and post when I get home Thursday-ish...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Here are the tractor and trailer unit together, with a 40cm ruler...total length of the combo is about 33cm...

Last night I added the big box thingie to the cargo bay and filled the edges where the trailer sides meet the top and bottom of the trailer unit. Fit is not bad for width but a little off (half mil) either way for length...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks for that Simon.
Looks the right size for a TSR2 MS Carrier to me.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Too true, Bruce, and I am keeping my eye out for a bargain TSR2 MS - currently here they are about NZD80-90 and I DID promise Her no more acquisitions for a while after She let me run well over my allowance at the Expo...am overseas again in a couple of months so will see what I stumble across...if not a TSR2, I have a idea along the same theme that might look pretty cool but that'll be outside the GB as it will be a product of my own fertile mind as opposed to any recognised science-fiction...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Applied an all over coat of grey primer last night to check seam filling and finishes - no dramas like with the X-22! The grey colour will also be the interior colour for the cab because it looks OK already and the tinted glass while change it any way...need to redo some of the trailer panel lines as I accidentally smeared some filler in them - must have had a little on a finger of thumb when I was handling it...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

On the road the next couple of days and left the camera behind...all sanding and major construction is now complete - the only bits still to add are the wheels, cab and headlight parts that will go on after the finishing colour which will be some form of olive/khaki drab...I've decided to assemble the trailer unit with the cargo compartment doors closed for now while I give more though to the final configuration post-GB - I only realised last night that the doors don't open to lie flat along the deck so am having to rethink details of MJ's idea to complete it a la the TSR2MS launcher - this will be still doable but will need a Plan B or highly-modded Plan B...I'm not actually sure that anything would be acheived by having the doors open anyway with my lack of the relevant robot bits to go with it...

I'm also not going to include the figures in the GB as they are too nice to be bolloxed by my current level of figure finishing...pics up tomorrow (Thurs) night when I get home...
philp

Post by philp »

looking forward to the pics.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Good plan.
This is supposed to be fun, after all...and why spoil something good by attempting a rush job to make it great?

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I have been chipping away at a somewhat accelerated pace since MJ's reminder that this GB is now on borrowed time...

Major components complete - I have tacked the trailer doors closed for now...pretty well ready for the first coat of paint..

Tractor and cab masked prior to painting...I've masked inside and outside of the cab and will hit the inside with more grey - it's doesn't look right through the windows without an interior colour - you can see inside more than I expected...

Head/tail light parts ready for painting...they look really fiddly to mask around once the lights are in place so I'm painting them the overall colour, adding the lights and then attaching to the body...

And then depression set in...

I was using a spray can of Tamiya 'Olive Drab 2' as I haven't been able to find the same colour or finish in bottled paint. If it hadn't been the last day of the GB, I probably would have held off and used a fresh can as I had already used this one a bit...wish I had...the paint came out horribly as you can see from the pattern on the table - like a fire hose when you want a water fountain...I persevered when I should have stopped as this stuff is so thin is usually self levels, combined with a bit of evaporation, quite well...

Not this time and I had to step in with my trusty wiping cloth and sponge away the pools that had formed...what really narks me is that all the smaller bits can out looking great....

It won't take too much to clean up but that was also the last of that paint and I don't have anything even close to that colour to replace it with. The three closest model shops are a 410, 390 or 210km round trip and that doesn't really matter as all three are shut on Sundays...

I think that Mr Bromry-Eyevan will be going back in its box for a while while I sulk and will make a later appearance in the Ruddy Well Finish It! thread...
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I think it looks weathered! :-D

Never mind, Simon. It appears you've been the unfortunate victim of an all-too common issue, experienced by users of rattlecans and airbrushes everywhere.

I almost had a similar problem with "Betty", in that I almost ran out of H93.
I got by by thinning it and, fortunately, this didn't cause it to change hue...and I was only 'slapping it on' anyways.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Cheers, Bruce...what really annoys me is that I considered decanting the paint out of the spray can for either brush or airbrush application as I wasn't sure how much was left in the can and was aware how much wastage there is from spray can application...even more annoying was that I had been doing some brush work the night before so everything was all there to use...it won't take too much to finish once I get some more paint when I am in Wellington this week: the only big task left is the masking of the two dozen or so wheels, and whatever detailing I might decide to do in the cab now that I have more time than I wanted...

Return to “Sci-Fi GB”