.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's Boston strafer

Post by Jagewa »

Don't worry about running out of sandpaper, you can use an another Airfix kit with rivets as a sander :shock:

Coming along great Martin, she'll go good with the Invader.

Cheers
Jim
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

OK, just a quick update. Had a fairly substantial sanding session today, and have beaten the nose 'glazing' into submission . . .

To my Mk 1 eyeball, the nose profile looks less bulbous and more reminiscent of the real thing.

And a quick squizz at the fin fillet. This still needs some work to give it a concave profile all along it, but it's getting there.

Another filling and sanding round will start tomorrow, but I've had enough of it for tonight! After that, I have to scribe the ailerons, flaps and elevator hinge lines, and work out how I'm going to sort the supercharger (?) inlet on the engine nacelles.

regards,
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Next filler and sanding round finished but not worth a pic, and the seams are currently about as good as they're going to get. Dearth of time available for building as I've started redecorating the dining room. Wallpaper stripping rivals sanding for boredom quotient.

Hope to do a bit more (modelling as well as decorating) tonight, starting on the nacelles, but we'll see.

regards,
Martin R

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Just don't get the wallpaper mixed up, I don't think paisley was one of the camo options :ha:

Cheers
Jim
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great work, Martin. I'm afraid my Boston is headed for the bottom of the to be built pile.

Keep at it.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Way to keep at it Martin.

So is that nose going to have guns sticking out of it now?
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

All,

Thanks for your posts. Hee hee! It's just as well that your modelling is better than your punning! :lol: Been away for a couple of days, hence lack of response.

Jeff,

Don't let my build put you off! Build it and enjoy it oob (well, except perhaps dremeling down the cowlings a bit). If you do that, it definitely looks like a Boston - just not exactly like a Boston.

Ralph,

Yep, the nose is going to be painted over, with representations of 4 .50 cal gun barrels sticking out of what was the bomb aimers panel.

I plan to do the last filling session this evening, then do some work on the nacelles. But I've had that plan before. It depends how the touching up of the Mustang goes as to whether I get round to it - and the weekend is when I plan to finish stripping the dining room wallpaper. Joy! :roll:

regards,
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Too much wallpaper stripping getting in the way of modelling. However, I have done the "last" round of filling and sanding and have started on the cowlings. Hopefully some painting and gluing tonight.

regards,
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote:Two weeks to finish this one. You have the time, but don't waste it.
Yes, this one's going down to the wire. After a weekend of little progress on models (wallpaper stripping, however, is now complete!), I managed to do a little tonight. No pics, but the engine nacelles and cowlings are now attached. The overall structure is complete - and it looks somewhat like a Boston.

Tomorrow, I want to mask and prime. Some photos soon.

regards,
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Latest status. She's up on her legs and sitting nicely, and it's good to see the structure basically complete.

Despite the progress though, I must admit I'm struggling with the motivation to finish this one. I'm really not looking forward to scribing the hinge lines for ailerons, flaps and elevators!

A view into one of the mainwheel wells. There is a front bulkhead ahead of the main gear leg to stop the see-through look and a rear bulkhead, although you can't see it in this view. Airfix did mould a recess for the main wheel into the wing lower surface, which is a nice touch. You can also see the amount of filler required to reshape the turbocharger (?) fairing on the nacelle side facing the fuselage.

regards,
Martin R

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That sure is a lot of filler but it seems to be taking shape. I'm enjoying this build. Keep up the good work
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Don't lose heart now, it looks to good to give up on.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What he said.

The hardest part is now behind you.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thanks for the kind words, one and all, but unfortunately sorting out the aftermath of the "day of infamy" is going to take me another couple of nights work, so I'm running out of time on this one. It will get finished though - some time or other :grin:

Now, how am I going to glue that Tamiya Corsair undercarriage back together . . . ?

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Return to “"Riff-RAAF", The Aussie Wings GB”