Martin's Boston strafer

Runs October 1st to November 14th
GB Leader: Brews
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin's Boston strafer

Post by Martin R »

PB still not working :frown: earth brown (3 coats) finished and kleared. Foliage green tomorrow.

Demarcation between top and bottom colours not brilliant, to be honest. I think though that weathering may come to the rescue here.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote:Are you a finisher here, Martin?

In a word, no.

PB still down; we lost broadband connectivity on Sunday and Monday, hence posting from work (Dearest tells me it is now fixed though).

Where are we? Got 3 coats of foliage green on, but still need a couple more. Brush painting Gunze Sangyo needs lots of thinning. I'll post some pics tonight (hopefully), then I'll shift this onto the back burner (apart from anything else, I was scavenging through the box last night and find I've lost one of the main gear axle connections and - um, the canopy). So, this won't get finished anytime soon.

Thanks for letting me take part and giving me the extra time. I nearly got to the decals . . .

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

As PB has now graciously condescended to upload my pictures, these are what I was trying to show you during the weekend . . .

Primed and sanded back:

Aileron and flap outlines scribed:

And elevators:

Somewhere about 10 coats of gunze sangyo pale blue. My GS paints had been used previously, but not recently. I needed to do a major amount of thinning (with water) to avoid brush strokes (well, almost) but this resulted in very thin paint. Much prefer Xtracrylix in this respect:

Engines painted - gunmetal for the cylinders, an anonymous mid-grey for the crank-case and zinc chromate for the cowling inners. There are some fairly massive sink holes near the outer end of each cylinder, which look odd - hence the heavy weathering:

With ~3 coats of well-thinned Humbrol 26 applied, followed by Klear (thinning the Humbrol down made the surface very fragile and it didn't dry easily - hence Klear between coats. This also reduces the recoat time). This looked an almost chocolate-y brown on the lid, but went on closer to dark earth, which was a disappointment. Looks almost OD on the photos:

And with 3 coats of Gunze RLM71 on. I am happy with a bit of a patchy finish as I'm going to weather it pretty heavily at some point. However, it needs at least another couple of coats to get it sufficiently dense even for a patch finish.

Thanks for following this build - and does anyone have a spare Airfix Boston III canopy and wheel mount? :-D

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Found the canopy and the wheel mount! Have to get this finished now! Another coat of green went on tonight while I was waiting for the glue on the Tempest to dry. One more should do it, I think.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Brews wrote:Ah, another week would have seen you finish :)
Yep, but bet you I'll finish the Tempest quicker!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."

Return to “"Riff-RAAF", The Aussie Wings GB”