Paul's Ventura

Runs October 1st to November 14th
GB Leader: Brews
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Paul's Ventura

Post by PaulBradley »

By popular demand, I'll be building the Frog Ventura.

I'll be completing it as a machine of 13 Squadron, RAAF, flying anti-submarine patrols from Australia's north coast from 1943-5.

In the 80's and early-90's there was a flying Ventura in Australia, and I took the following pics at the Bankstown Airshow on October 2nd, 1988:

The aircraft was badly damaged in a landing accident in the mid-90's and is now held in reserve by the RAAF Museum.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Paul's Ventura

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That's a sharp looking bird. I just bought the Ventura kit with the octopus on the back. I look forward to seeing yours built up
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Slow start this weekend - been busy with other things. Nevertheless, a start has been made. Mostly clean-up so far - the kit is of unknown origins, having been given to me in an unmarked plastic bag, with out decals or instructions, at SMW 2009. Interestingly, the starboard fuselage and lower starbord wing are moulded in a different coloured grey plastic to the rest of the kit! There was a little flash on some of the parts and a few small sink marks, though nothing too serious. Fit seems to be quite good, though I think the horizontal tailplanes will need some work. There's little engine detail and the cowlings are quite poor; not sure how much work I want to put in on those as yet.

Some work on the cockpit today has yielded this so far:

The kit supplies a basic floor, stick and crude seats. I added some fuselage stringers, replaced the pilot's seat, and made a set of rudder pedals and a small central console. The IP is moulded into the fuselage halves, but I'll just add a decal as very little will be seen through the canopy.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I tidied up the cockpit area and glued the fuselage together - the fit is pretty darned good and no filler was needed on the fuselage seams. However, there are a couple of sink marks on the fuselage that needed filling.

The wings went together quite well, but there was some mild flash clean up to do, and the engine nacelles needed quite a bit of work on their seams....

And so the state of play this afternoon:

You'll notice I re-scribed some of the panel lines on the wings and fuselage - as usual, I don't do all of them.
Paul

Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Any progress Paul?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)