Softscience's Spitfire VIII

Runs October 1st to November 14th
GB Leader: Brews
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Softscience's Spitfire VIII

Post by Softscience »

I'm happy to say that the phase I of the spitfire's reconstructive rhinoplasty is proceeding well. I have rebuilt the nose panels, filled the massive gaps with plastic shims and superglue, and have sanded everything down. There are still a few gaps left to fill (minor ones), and then the herculean task of rescribing all of the lost surface detail.

I may also need to reprofile the "hood" bulges over the exhausts, as I may have inadvertently sanded away some of their shape. Pics when all that's done.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

anybody care to dole out some advice on how I could reconstruct the small circular depressions on the spitifre's engine cover panels? I guess they're supposed to be bolt or screw points holding the panels on. I lost all but a few of them in the reconstruction. I tried just using a needle to impress some rivets, but that looked goofy, so I filled them back in. But the area really looks naked without these details.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What? No.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right, even if it takes longer. :)
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Softscience wrote:anybody care to dole out some advice on how I could reconstruct the small circular depressions on the spitifre's engine cover panels? I guess they're supposed to be bolt or screw points holding the panels on. I lost all but a few of them in the reconstruction. I tried just using a needle to impress some rivets, but that looked goofy, so I filled them back in. But the area really looks naked without these details.
Ralph,

Hmmm. Could try making some initial holes with the needle - as you did - then expanding / flattening the area with a couple of twists of a micro drill?

regards,

Martin
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Bruce, thanks for that bit of advice. I checked around and it looks like this version does infact have the bulges. Its a good thing I looked though because I was also able to find a picture of the cannon covers on the wing, and realized I almost installed the wrong ones.

Martin, I used your advice and it worked. The nose job is complete. I'll take pictures after I apply some primer to make sure I didn't miss something.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I don't think I'll make it in time. I've had too much to do these last few days, and the free time I had I've spent on another project that's just more interesting to me at the moment. Sorry guys, but I'll continue the build in my workbench soon.

Return to “"Riff-RAAF", The Aussie Wings GB”