Martin's Marvellous Mustang! *** Finished! ***

Runs October 1st to November 14th
GB Leader: Brews
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Martin's Marvellous Mustang! *** Finished! ***

Post by Martin R »

Well, I kind of doubt the "marvellous" bit, but a bit of advertising never did anyone any harm . . . hmmmm.

Anyway, I have got a boxing of the Airfix 1/72 P-51D/K, which is going to be finished as a Mustang IV of 3 Sqn RAAF, Italy, 1945. This is in homage to the many attempted builds (but few finishes) of this kit from my youth.

For a 1970s Airfix kit, I remember the cockpit interior being surprisingly good, and the surface detail of the kit as being more refined than the usual rivets. I have an idea that the detail from the 1/72nd came about as a consequence of the research from the 1/24 Mustang 'Superkit' of a similar period, and I'm sure someone can either confirm or dismiss that.

The main attraction, as I recall it from my youth, was the cool blue rudder with the Southern Cross stars on it so, despite the RAF roundels, there is an Aussie flavour to the markings!

Box shots to come, PhotoBucket permitting, but I'm afraid I've started the kit already. This is going to be essentially OOB as I'm looking for a relaxed alternative to the Boston filler fest . . . although I might try to widen the nose a tad . . . and box in the wheel wells at least at the rear.

regards,
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Old_Tonto

Re: Martin's Marvellous Mustang!

Post by Old_Tonto »

Oh I remember that kit. Have not seen it for some time.

Good luck. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Old_Tonto wrote:Oh I remember that kit. Have not seen it for some time.

Good luck. :lol:
Thanks OT.

This is the boxing I'm using:

Instructions:

Colour options - Swedish J26 (P-51D), F16 Wing, Uppsala, 1945

Colour options - RAF: Mustang IVA, 249 (Gold Coast) Sqn, Brindisi, Itali, June 1945

Remaining contents on the sprues, decals, etc. I have the Red Roos decals for CV-P, KH667, 3 Sqn RAAF, Nov 1944. I also have (not shown) Xtradecal sheet X72131, P-51D Mustang IV in RAF, RCAF, and RAAF service, which has an option for CV-W KH775. I'm not sure I'll do either of these options, but at least I should be able to source codes and Southern Cross decals for the rudder.

Current status:

You can see the styrene strip I've added between the upper cowling halves to 'bulk out' the front fuselage a bit. I'm a bit surprised therefore that the canopy still fits (!) In fact, it looks as if it wouldn't have fitted as well prior to adding this. Can anyone explain that? The downside is that the spinner backplate is now too small to fit the front fuselage. However, one from an old tool Hasegawa kit fits very well indeed, so I have a plan.

I added a back cushion and straps (inaccurate) to the cockpit but otherwise used just the kit parts. Some dry brushing popped out the detail on cockpit sidewalls and the 'parcel shelf' (sorry, Brews!)

I have some gaps to fill along the upper cowling and at the upper wing roots, but given what I did to the fuselage halves, these do not look that bad at all.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

regards,
Martin R

theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

Nice. Love Mustangs.....
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

For some reason your Mustang looks better than I remember it. I built Fools Paradise as a kid. Keep it up as it is looking real nice.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

jssel wrote:For some reason your Mustang looks better than I remember it. I built Fools Paradise as a kid. Keep it up as it is looking real nice.
Jeff,

Many thanks!

I think I can explain the differences. Airfix have done two 1/72 P-51Ds; the original was Fools Paradise - blister kit - eponymous Mustang coming straight at you in the box art, shedding drop tanks. However, in the 70s, this was replaced with the example I'm building; I think the decal choices were "Cripes A'mighty" and a 3 Sqn RAAF example. This has been reissued a number of times with different decal options, including the ones I show in the photos. In fact, it is still available as a Starter Kit, with yet another set of decals.

I don't recall building the original kit, but given the difference in quality between Airfix original tooling and their '70s retools, I can believe that Fool's Paradise was on the basic side of rudimentary.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Not the most interesting update I admit, but and after some filling and sanding, a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 is on . . .

The underside rear fuselage shows some of the crudities of the Airfix kit, with no radiator outlet duct included.

I have also sanded away some of the grille on the forward lower engine cowling. I'm thinking of sanding this completely away and trying to replace with a piece of wine bottle foil with dimples impressed with a scribing tool.

After some more sanding, filling and a little rescribing, it should be ready for some paint.

regards,
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

The Mustang . . . .? Oh yes, almost forgot about that one given the filler mountain that is the Boston. Well, actually, that's going quite well.

Up on its (main) legs; sky band and pale blue fin painted and masked; spinner and prop blades painted (still need to do the yellow blade tips) and currently stuck on with blu-tak. It looks good on the new, wider, front fuselage. Canopy kleared and "just sitting there".

I decided that I couldn't live with no radiator outlet on the underside, which is very noticeable when the aircraft is parked up, so I added one.

It looks fairly agricultural in the pic, but I think it looks better in reality. We'll see when I start painting the camo - which should be soon now!

I do like the Airfix Mustang. I reckon it's a real Classic Airfix kit despite the fuse being a bit narrow. Look at the panel representation; not just recessed panel lines, but a representation of the sometimes 'bumpy' appearance of various panels.

regards,
Martin R

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

looking good so far. I look forward to seeing more.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

No pics I'm afraid (redecorating) but undersides are painted Xtracrylix light gull gray (Xtracrylix interpretation of ANA602 light gray), and the uppersurface has 4 coats of Xtracrylix gunship gray (ANA-603 sea gray) applied. I had hoped to do a further couple of coats of ANA613 olive drab (again Xtracrylix) last night, but I was too tired.

The undersides look spot on in colour but I'm unsure of the top grey. Looks a bit dark to my eye. However, that's the colour it's staying. I'll post some pics when the olive drab is on, and you can judge for yourself.

regards,
Martin R

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

After 3 coats of Xtracrylix ANA613 olive drab, we have this:

There's a good contrast between the grey and green, but I still feel the grey is too dark and too blue. Oh well, c'est la vie. Still got to unwrap all the masking and see what I've got to touch up, but she's coming along. I'm also pretty pleased with the look of the cowling width in the first pic. It's a bit more 'meaty' than that possible oob. Having said that, the whole fuse is pretty narrow. Just try fitting the canopy from another P-51D kit to this one . . .

regards,
Martin R

Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Coming along nicely.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

The grey looks perfect, that's the colour it should be.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Sweet looking 'Stang, Martin.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Martin R