A "paper" project

Runs November 15th to December 31st
GB Leaders: Kruaxi, DirkPitt289
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

A "paper" project

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I was cleaning out the disk drive and ran across a file with this. Got more parts than most the kits I see here at probably way less the cost ....

It's from Fiddlers Green.

For those who may not have gotten into paper models, here's about all the tools you'll need:

Sharp hobby knife, metal rule, dead ball-point for scoring, some round things for rolling, some UHU glue, and some color pencils to touch things up with. Quite a bit smaller investment than my "plastic" hobby.

Anyway, less than an hour later, here we are, all cut and cleaned.

Not sure when I'll put it together, I have right-eye cataract surgery in the morning ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: A "paper" project

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I always wanted to see how a paper model was done. This will be cool for me
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
kruaxi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by kruaxi »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:I always wanted to see how a paper model was done. This will be cool for me
It's a mistery for me also...
Salute e Latinum per tutti !
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Good luck with the operation.

I look forward to watching this build.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/user/signUp;

Fiddlers Green currently has an offer of three free paper models for new sign-ups, choosing from a list of 75 models, if any one wanted to have a crack themselves...they are designed to be fun as opposed to rivet-counting accurate but are a great way to try paper models...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The right eye is done and seems fine, albeit probably not 20-20. Due to the holidays I cannot get the left eye done until early January so I'm wandering around with one good eye & one old eye. I can't put on my glasses, that just reverses the eyes. I bought a pair of drug store cheaters to help with close-in work. Otherwise I have times when I can see clearly and times when I can't ....

Anyway, today is the first day at the bench ....

First "problem" with many paper models is they are color printed on one side only and sure enough I had to color the interior of the front intake and the rear thruster before putting them together. That was domne by rubbing the side of a color pencil evenly on the cardstock then rubbing that with my finger to smooth it out. Then I used a round piece to shape the paper parts prior to gluing. Usually I get them close enough then do the final rounding/shaping when the glued seam is dry.

I also went to work on the tail, folding all the tabs, then giving a gentle roll down the centered down the front. I could cut out the blue "glass" and assemble a seat then use clear tape or something for the cockpit, but I'm not.

For those who don't follow paper models, this kit came in a pdf file which I printed on heavy (65lb) paper (card stock). I cut out the parts with a nice new #11 blade in my Exacto knife. Parts are formed by scoring along fold lines then folding, and/or rolling, and gluing. It's rather simple in theory but big complex models need good instructions, like photo-etch, on how to make complex folds and order of assembly. Having worked with paper and photo-etch, I find many tools and skills applicable to both.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

What I like best about paper models is that you can pretty much choose your own scale within the limitations of your printer. The first one I did was a pretty detailed Yamaha bike (promo from their site) at ~1/6 scale I scaled in by 50% and did a 1/12 scale bike. Also your stash can be massive and still not take up any room :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Also, if you make a complete pig's ear of something you can just print out another copy and try again...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

John,

Glad to hear that you've at least got one eye fully serviceable and I hope the second follows suit in the New Year. I am also looking forward to getting some guidance on assembling paper kits, so more please!

regards,

Martin
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Martin, while John's being a bit one-eyed about things, there's a lot of great guidance on building paper models here: http://www.papermodelers.com; - and the natives are friendly

Simon

Edit: further to that, ecardmodels is having a Holiday Giveaway with two free paper models from its Exclusive collection; details here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/card ... odels.html;
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Simon -- there is indeed a wealth of info on paper modeling out there.

I'm trying to finish the Hampden GB, then I'll be back to work on this ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Work restarted ... pix tomorrow ... I'm working the main body and the trolley right now ... (I know, what else is there?)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Never mind, I'm dropping out.

I made, as one of you said, a pigs ear out of mounting the tail to the body. Part of it my fault, part the kit. I think I know what I need to do to build it right so I could reprint and move on, but I just don't care and I have other things to do these next couple days ....

Return to “Luft '46 ... with a twist”