"Skipper hates Jerries!" - Airfix Spitfire Mk.IX

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: "Skipper hates Jerries!" - Airfix Spitfire Mk.IX

Post by Purplethistle »

"What about the Admins?"

"..Give 'em a shovel..."
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

I picked up a Matchbox 1/32 Citroen Legere the other week, I'm now tempted to make the Edward Fox, Ian McShane, "For the benefit of the uneducated..." scene where the French pilot pulls up
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

I don't know if you've already thought of this Daz, but there's a 1/48 RAF personnel set with one figure in a very similar pose to The Skipper with his Irvine over his shoulder (albeit in the opening scene where he's just gotten out of a Hurri)... :)
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DazDaMan »

I am thinking of doing a 1/48th Hurri for the Screen Stars build, right enough....
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Decals and weathering today!
Daren

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Looking good Daz!

It amazes me how you guys can come up with so many off the cuff quotes (and variations) from that film! It reminds me how humorous it is in places. It has a very good script.

One of my fave bits is sassy Section Officer Harvey nervously trying to light a smoke and getting told off for it:

"Don't you yell at me, Mr Warwick!"

I wasn't born when this film was made, but the blitz scenes were filmed in south London where I and all my ancestors grew up.

Some of them watched this filming take place near their homes, but those that lived through it for real were seriously disturbed by seeing search lights, barrage balloons and hearing sirens again in London. According to my Dad, there were many tears.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

It was an integral part of my teenage years - I wasn't around to see the film when it was originally released, but I pretty much wore out a copy of the film on VHS! I was eventually lucky enough to see it on the big screen in 2005 - 'twas awesome! :-D
Daren

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Agreed! The recent digitally re-mastered, cleaned up and audio improved DVD release stands up pretty well on a decent home cinema set-up.

Right from the opening scenes you know you're in for something special.

The problem with the BoB movie is that it was so well done that watching other contemporary RAF movies is a bit deflating after watching BoB. For example, I loved 633 Squadron when I was a lad, but now, after watching the brilliant filming of BoB, all I can think about when watching 633 is 'Who threw that Airfix model at that cliff' and 'I can see the strings!' :-D

Still love it though. And the music, probably the best ever in an RAF movie.

Anyway, how's the Spit coming along Daz?
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

633 Squadron is up in my all-time 20 favourites! ;-)

As for the Spit - decals and weathering later! :grin:
Daren

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Ms York got me through my youth very nicely thank you. And that is all I can say about that. Touring London on 1976 with a bus full of German tourists, the tour guide made it clear as we passed areas of scarred buildings on just who did what to who. No history books can write accurately enough what your eyes see.

The BoB movie is tops. And even as a Yank, there is no way to measure the impact of the Battle and what it meant to the free world.

"Put yer hands up you bloody Bosch bastard!" "Put 'em up!"
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

"Good afternoon, my arse!"
Daren

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

jssel wrote:Ms York got me through my youth very nicely thank you. And that is all I can say about that. Touring London on 1976 with a bus full of German tourists, the tour guide made it clear as we passed areas of scarred buildings on just who did what to who. No history books can write accurately enough what your eyes see.

The BoB movie is tops. And even as a Yank, there is no way to measure the impact of the Battle and what it meant to the free world.

"Put yer hands up you bloody Bosch bastard!" "Put 'em up!"
It's always good to hear an American perspective on what is a very British movie. Speaking as a life-long Londoner, London in '76 was a pretty grotty place, there was still loads of damage hung over from the war, and the whole town had a bit of a run-down grimy feel to it (as captured in contemporary TV shows like The Sweeney).

Fast-forward to today, with a truly massive amount of redevelopment and investment all over the city, and fantastic new architecture, it's like a completely different place. Massive improvements every where (particularly heading east of the city), and it's even clean now!

If you come over again Jssel, I'll pop out of my office and meet you for lunch! :)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Would like to return. Back in those days I was a bed and breakfast man with a backpack. Did all the sites plus the RAF museum at Hendon. Freddy Laker had excellent travel rates back then. But SMW is on my bucket list.

Sorry for the hijack Daren. Back to our regularly scheduled program. "Rabbit Squadron Airbourne!" "Wake up Causley, will you?"
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

No worries!

Pictures to follow once I've uploaded them.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Decals are on....

You can see in the last pic that I had a couple of issues with some of the decals - the fuselage and wing roundel broke up a little, so I had to try not to lose any more of them! I've tried to touch up the yellow ring, but does anyone have any tips on how to get the right shade of blue? Add a little black, maybe?

Weathering to follow. I wonder if the patch on the wing roundel could be made to look weathered??
Daren

Return to “Aviation Modelling”