First Mission - aviation art by Nixon Galloway

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Rob1970
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

First Mission - aviation art by Nixon Galloway

Post by Rob1970 »

My next project for the coming weeks/months. And it's going to be fun! (Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Rob...)

The subject of this diorama is my attempt to do justice to this great painting by one of my favourite aviation artists; Nixon Galloway.

From Aviation Art Hangar.com;
This painting portrays the historic first combat mission flown by the U.S. Army Air Force against the Germans, from England during World War II. On July 4, 1942 the 15th Squadron, who had been training in planes borrowed from the RAF's No. 226 Squadron attacked the Luftwaffe airfield at DeKooy. The lead plane dropped its bombs and hightailed it for home. The second plane, a Douglas A-20 "Havoc" flown by Captain Charles C. Kegelman, took a hit in the right engine, knocking its propeller off. Momentarily losing control, Kegelman's right wing tip, then his belly hit the ground, but he bounced back into the air, whereupon he regained sufficient control to get safely back to his base at Swanton Morley with his entire crew unscathed. Captain Kegelman was awarded the DSC and each of his crew, the DFC for this extraordinary mission.
In 1944 while leading his group of B-25's on a routine bombing run over the Japanese-held island of Mindinao, in the Philippines, Kegelman's wing man lost control; the two planes collided and plunged into the jungle. At the time of his death, Kegelman was 29 years old.
I found a reasonable image of the painting, had a friend edit out Captain Kegelman's Boston III, stretched the image and had it printed out at the local print shop on some HQ paper.

The Plan
To recreate the painting with the Boston III flying out of it...

The Kit
An old one, ofcourse... the Matchbox Douglas A-20G Havoc/Boston IV...

Which ofcourse is the wrong type of Boston. But I just need to remove a dorsal turret and build up a bit of spine.

Not too bad, right?

Oh, and build a burning engine...

And one running engine...

And some damage to a wingtip...

And my own decals... sure...

Yeah... 'sgonna be fun...

:roll:

Rob
It was either this or a misstress. In the end Airfix turned out to be cheaper...
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: First Mission - aviation art by Nixon Galloway

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great story, great plan. Good luck with it.

Nigel
Rob1970

Post by Rob1970 »

You know...

Sometimes, the Gods of Scratchbuilding are fickle, and Fate (this time in the shape of a bottle of Tamiya ET) rolls the dice, and says; "Not today..."

I was working on the wing of the Havoc, performing a turbocharger-ectomy... and went downstairs for coffee. Bumped the hobby table on my way out of the cave...

Came back to something that looked like this...

:boom:

Yeah... this project is on hold until I sort a new Boston... might go for the MPM kit after all, eventho someone offered me the old Airfix kit...

We will see...

If anyone wants me, I'll be in a corner. Crying.

Rob
It was either this or a misstress. In the end Airfix turned out to be cheaper...
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Very bad luck Rob,
but keep thinking positive.

Rich.
Rich.
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

I love these stories! They are a great inspiration to make a good model.
And you do the whole picture in the "3D" ;)
Good luck! :)
Przemek
PS.
I think that the American pilots were not afraid of German bullets and guns. Therefore, you do not be afraid to use sandpaper and putty ;) If something can be saved from the wings, of course.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Surely that wing can be rescued (as Przemek has said)? Wait until the plastic has gone completely hard then rub it down with wet and dry. Scribe it to replace the indented panel detail. If there is still a problem, skin it will 5 thou plastic card. By the time it has an undercoat and a few coats of matt green/brown and when set in its scene, nobody will ever know.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

vacant wrote:Surely that wing can be rescued (as Przemek has said)?
Anything can be salvaged with the correct mix of determination and insanity, both in scale and in reality. Giving up on the wing may be a perfectly valid choice (we're in this to enjoy ourselves, not to make a point), but it's a choice, not an inevitability.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

It looks like you already have your damaged starboard wing. Good story and idea. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
So many models, so little time.
Rob1970

Post by Rob1970 »

rob_van_riel wrote:Anything can be salvaged with the correct mix of determination and insanity, both in scale and in reality...
Meh, screw that... :ha:

I'm getting myself the MPM kit. Might as well do this piece of art justice...

To be continued...

Rob
PkBoo

Post by PkBoo »

Chuck E wrote:It looks like you already have your damaged starboard wing. Good story and idea. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
.....My thoughts exactly...! Ditto on the story and idea!

;-) Boo
Really...!?

Return to “Aviation Modelling”