Airfix Boeing B-17G 1/72 New tooling

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Boeing B-17G 1/72 New tooling

Post by iggie »

I decided to break out one of the new tools in my stash in between (or before, during and after as it turned out :shock: ) group builds; the parts fit is pretty much as you'd expect from the latest Airfix releases, and it definitely helps to make sure any mating surfaces are kept free of paint to avoid gaps opening up!

The interior detail is excellent, but as ever almost invisible once the fuselage is buttoned up :roll: . I finished her in AK Interactive Metallic Duraluminum, with individual panels picked out in a variety of Tamiya metallic colours. Gloss varnish for decalling was Xtracrylix, with a final W & N Matt Galeria top coat. I decided after the initial photos to add some exhaust staining

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
vacant

Re: Airfix Boeing B-17G 1/72 New tooling

Post by vacant »

Gorgeous job.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That is one sweet build. Nice work.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good paint job - nice and crisp. The varying panels look good.
Were the diagonal stripes on the wing decals or did you paint them ? Either way, well done.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Really nice Iggie, looks like there's some nice detail in the bomb bays too. Are those AK metallics acrylic?
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Two thumbs up Iggie
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

I may be being a doofus here (it has been known) but is there still some masking on the tail turret glazing?

Regardless, that is a fantastic build. You've got a really nice finish with the metallic paint.

Springy
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Just the inspiration I needed to finish mine. I've had it assembled for over a month and have been afraid to apply the paint. Mine will be in the alternate scheme (chosen by my son). That's a fine looking model so I'll be quite happy if mine turns out anything close.

Cheers,

Howard
iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks everyone; it really is a rewarding kit to build, and the good news is that it fits into a standard Ikea 'Detolf' display cabinet :grin: :grin:
Springy67 wrote:I may be being a doofus here (it has been known) but is there still some masking on the tail turret glazing?

Regardless, that is a fantastic build. You've got a really nice finish with the metallic paint.

Springy
You are not being a doofus (I love that word! :-D ); I have left some masking on the rear most portion of the glazing! :oops: :roll:
jamesaw wrote:Just the inspiration I needed to finish mine. I've had it assembled for over a month and have been afraid to apply the paint. Mine will be in the alternate scheme (chosen by my son). That's a fine looking model so I'll be quite happy if mine turns out anything close.

Cheers,

Howard
I must admit I was torn between the two schemes in the box, but the green (or blue, no one is quite sure) nose band and prop boss was for me the winner 8-)
Migrant wrote:Really nice Iggie, looks like there's some nice detail in the bomb bays too. Are those AK metallics acrylic?
The bomb bay is pretty well detailed, although I chose not to fit the payload. The AK metallics are (so I found out today) enamel based, although interestingly IPA will shift them while wet and also cleans them from the airbrush! I didn't think IPA worked on enamel.... :???:
jRatz wrote:Good paint job - nice and crisp. The varying panels look good.
Were the diagonal stripes on the wing decals or did you paint them ? Either way, well done.
Cheers John; the stripes were painted....and then I saw the decals in the box!! :shock: :grin:
The big mistake is that I assumed that the stripe continued underneath the same wing, when in fact the upper stripe is on the Starboard wing, and the lower on the Port; still, as long as no one can see both sides at once, who's to know? :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice work! This new tool Fort looks pretty skookum.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
MDT

Post by MDT »

Beautiful B-17. Great advert for what looks an impressive new Airfix kit.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Excellent job Iggie and looking forward to your next build.
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I remember the old tool - I was given it as a Christmas present when it was originally released - which gives my age away!! That is a superb model - the individual panels are very well done and the metallic finish is very convincing (and hard to get right). Kudos to you and to Airfix for a fine model and kit.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Awesome job on the big F!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Excellent. Looks like I'll have to get one, now. Just finishing off the original. It's the kit I got from my cousin for my birthday. It was Brand New. It's been repainted in various schemes and battle damaged, but is almost back to its original form again. I even found some original decals. The two should look nice together. I have 3 more in the stash. New Revell, Academy Coastal Command RAF and an RAF 100 Group MKIII, from the Hasegawa kit.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”